Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SAMSUNG S8 S7

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

is it possible any of the features will trickle down over time of the s8 too the s7 

I absolutely love my phone but there is always room for improvement 

It will be interesting to see if  future updates have some extra features if any 

(I wonder if bixby could be passed down)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stevie1
14: Advanced member

Have a look on XDA there are some features from the S8's on there like the S8'S launcher and Bixby which have been converted to use on the S7/edge but some people have reported issues with these especially with Bixby not working and coursing problems with phones crashing. Although l can confirm the the S8'S launcher works very well as l have been running it on my S7 edge for the last couple of days without any issues, so yes you may see some of the S8's features being released for the S7 family in future updates.

:robotmad:

View solution in original position

14 REPLIES 14

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

It all depends if....

1. The phone specs can support a particular feature. 

2. It's included in any firmware update. For example nougat firmware brought the Grace Ui which was on the Note 7 to the s7 phones and the enhanced AOD feature. 

3. A manufacturer decides a feature won't work or be compatible or an Upgrade to the next new phone who specs support whatever feature wanted is required. People have different opinions on this. But in the end not many would upgrade if features or enhancements were always available. 

I've not brushed up on Bixby and it's possible availability but as people are already looking at sideloading it onto their phone which is something I'd recommend against as it's been highlighted it can cause the phone to crash. Anything is possible. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi BandOfBrothers,

Just one thing in regards to Bixby there is an article on the android police forum to day which states that Bixby voice commands will not work on any samsung phones until some time this spring and this will include the 2 new S8's from release although everything else will work.

As for the specs between the s8's and the S7's there practically identical so most if not all of the S8's software will be compatible with the S7's. I am currently running the S8 launcher, AOD, S8 Keyboard and weather widget on my s7 edge, I have had these running for the last few days without having any problems or hang ups.

The only thing I haven't tried is Bixby but I will stay well clear of that for the time being due to all the problems people are having and the fact which l have already stated above which apparently android poxie got strait from samsumg.

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

HI STEVIE 

I would love to try those on my phone but haven't got the bottle 

I'm interested to ask does it not affect your warranty 

BandOfBrothers

@SKYMAN513

If a person performs something on their phone that trips Knox i.e. Rooting then yes the person can then experience difficulties in having a phone serviced under the Manufacturing Warranty. It's one of the things first checked for by an authorised engineer. 

Sideloading an Apk File isn't rooting but as Your Leaving the sanctity / safety of the PlayStore it's a risk undertaken at the owners discretion. 

I have jail jail broken my iPhones for years and if anything went wrong simply hooking up to iTunes to reset the iPhone removed the jail break thus restoring the Manufacturing Warranty. 

Its not the same for android in regards to try and restoring the Knox counter. 

Current Phone  >

yes it's some thing I am going to have to resist staying away from,

i am only just getting into all this tech stuff.

My main obsession is guitars but since I got an s7 edge and a gear fit 2 it's my latest craze mid life crisis ha ha 🤣

It is amazing how fast these things develop 

I've noticed in other places (from one of your links)

How people are able to customise and also develop on android.

And that starts another question how it seems you can't do the same with iphones of which I have no experience of.

BandOfBrothers

Android is essentially open source allowing greater customisation.

Apple sandbox their iOS platform intentionally so any iPhone can be picked up and be familiar to the user, thought to be a more secure platform along with no Sd Card so less chance of anything being introduced and limit of using Bluetooth i.e. No file transfers. 

I used to jail break my iPhones to allow imo the iPhone to be more customisable. But taking the iPhone out of Apples sandboxing can bring with it usability issues / lags and tweak clashes. It's however fine if a person takes time to grow their list of tweaks. 

For me Android provides me with a massive amount of customisation out of the box without having to do any changes / access to its core files. I.e. Rooting. 

Launchers such as Nova Prime as one example of many offers an option over TouchWizz which is Samsung's launcher. Themes and icon packs bring even more. 

Current Phone  >

Stevie1

If you root your phone then yes it would void your warranty but most phones now can be unrooted and return your phone back to the factory settings and returns the warranty back to the original.

Using a different launcher or apk file has no effect on your warranty at all in fact 90% of the files you download to your phone are apk files even the ones you download from the play store

BandOfBrothers

@Stevie1 wrote:

Hi BandOfBrothers,

Just one thing in regards to Bixby there is an article on the android police forum to day which states that Bixby voice commands will not work on any samsung phones until some time this spring and this will include the 2 new S8's from release although everything else will work.

As for the specs between the s8's and the S7's there practically identical so most if not all of the S8's software will be compatible with the S7's. I am currently running the S8 launcher, AOD, S8 Keyboard and weather widget on my s7 edge, I have had these running for the last few days without having any problems or hang ups.

The only thing I haven't tried is Bixby but I will stay well clear of that for the time being due to all the problems people are having and the fact which l have already stated above which apparently android poxie got strait from samsumg.

Hi @Stevie1

Bixby along with other Assistants interest me but to be honest having a dedicated button on the s8 / s8+ kind of irks. Hopefully there will be an option to remap the button. 

Using launchers / themes / icon packs etc certainly does show what customisation can be achieved on these phones. 

Current Phone  >

According to Samsung there will be no option in the S8's settings to revamp the dedicated Bixby and your only option will to be use a 3rd party app from the play store there is one on there called all in one features which allows you to do just that, so you could use the Bixby button to activate google now or assistant instead of Bixby or anything else your heat desires.