Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Galaxy S7 edge heating up and unresponsive

3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi. I have had two handsets from Vodafone so far.

After two days of usage, the phone heats up and becomes unresponsive, black screen, sometimes some keys flashing up, sometimes not. Leave it for couple of hours and it comes back. Starting with battery 100% in the morning, down to 30% by 2 pm.

When I call Vodafone, they don't want to listen and offer solution, just 'we will send you a new handset' (still within first 30 days of my contract).

I want a solution. How many phones do I have to go through?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi. I tried to do the router thing, but when I thought I switched off wifi on all the devices the router light was still blinking, so unable to perform that check.

I was using mobile network all day today.

Came home, switched on wifi and switched back all the syncing. Working fine at the moment.

As the episode was happening every time I got to work, around 9/10am, I am thinking maybe some syncing is scheduled for that time. Or there is that setting 'synch every time you connect to wifi'.

I will check what's happening tomorrow (working from home) and then again on Monday in the office. I will keep you updated.

BTW what is system client?

I am using gmail only at them moment, but will need to connect other accounts (hotmail and outlook) once this problem is sorted.

View solution in original position

33 REPLIES 33

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Hi. First thing I would try is a factory reset, if that doesn't sort out your issue then I would take up their offer of a new device.

Thank you. Sorry, I am quite new to android devices and it is not going very well so far. How is factory reset going to help? I know that it erases everything on the phone.

63johnw
It puts the phone back to an as new state, any apps that are misbehaving are reset and any apps that you have installed that could be causing problems would be removed.

I have had the issues you are describing on devices before and a reset has helped, do make sure you back everything up before a reset.

Brilliant. That's very helpful. It is a shame though, cause if I install the same app again it will probably do the same, so it is up to me to work out which app it is. You would think the phone is £600, you wouldn't have to go through this... Thank you very much!

One more thing. Samsung uses nano sim, the one I used before also had nano, so I just used the same sim. Do you think that could be a problem? Someone suggested I use another new sim, as the phone is functioning fine without the sim, when you put the sim in it starts misbehaving.

63johnw
It's worth trying to log onto another network, it won't, then reconnect to Vodafone. If you can get to a Vodafone store they would be able to do a sim swap for free while you wait, it may help ?

BandOfBrothers

You could try just clearing the system cache which does not wipe the phobe of the data. 

Also Samsung uk support online maybe able to help and or if local a Samsung Services Centre. 

That said due to the length of time you've owned it if also go with a swap. 

I'm using the s7 edge and it's fine. Mine is unbranded direct from a Samsung store. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you! That's exactly what I think. So many of my friends have got the same handset and it never caused them any trouble. I must be unlucky to get the phone with the same issue twice. Vodafone are saying maybe they got 'a dodgy batch' but it's not good enough. I contacted Samsung support through email, they are extremely busy (due to Note issues) so replying to me after long periods of time. They claim there is nothing wrong with the phone (am I a liar then?) and all they can advise is to download latest software (which unfortunately is already installed). I am getting new phone hopefully today. 1. Will swap for a new Vodafone sim (got it from the shop). 2. If problem persist will do factory reset or that 'system cache thing'. 3. If it does not help will have to give up s7 edge completely I think :Sad_face:

hrym

It's certainly odd that it's happening twice on different phones and, yes, that could point to a bad batch.   It doesn't seem to be a known issue in any way, so if it is that, it's probably quite a small number.   Against that, the S7 is very popular, so I'd expect a replacement to come from quite a lot further on in the production line.

It's possible it's a rogue app and you could test this by running the replacement device vanilla (ie with no added apps) for a few days.   If it's OK, add your apps one at a time until the problem recurs and you've found the culprit.

I slightly lost the thread of where you are with the SIMs, but it might be worth trying a replacement and a Vodafone shop can organise this quickly for you.  Make sure they activate it.   A factory reset and clearing the system cache are also worth trying.  I know you shouldn't have to sort this yourself, but if it's a software issue (and especially a 3rd party app), this is the best way of getting to the bottom of it.

I'm amazed Samsung have said there's nothing wrong.   I'd have thought they'd be super-sensitive to overheating issues at the moment, and their repair operation is normally among the best.