Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Galaxy S7 edge heating up and unresponsive

3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi. I have had two handsets from Vodafone so far.

After two days of usage, the phone heats up and becomes unresponsive, black screen, sometimes some keys flashing up, sometimes not. Leave it for couple of hours and it comes back. Starting with battery 100% in the morning, down to 30% by 2 pm.

When I call Vodafone, they don't want to listen and offer solution, just 'we will send you a new handset' (still within first 30 days of my contract).

I want a solution. How many phones do I have to go through?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi. I tried to do the router thing, but when I thought I switched off wifi on all the devices the router light was still blinking, so unable to perform that check.

I was using mobile network all day today.

Came home, switched on wifi and switched back all the syncing. Working fine at the moment.

As the episode was happening every time I got to work, around 9/10am, I am thinking maybe some syncing is scheduled for that time. Or there is that setting 'synch every time you connect to wifi'.

I will check what's happening tomorrow (working from home) and then again on Monday in the office. I will keep you updated.

BTW what is system client?

I am using gmail only at them moment, but will need to connect other accounts (hotmail and outlook) once this problem is sorted.

View solution in original position

33 REPLIES 33

Thank you so much for all advice to all of you. WIll keep in touch if the problem starts again!

Hi guys.

Sooo... yesterday I got the new phone at 1 pm.

Put in a brand new Vodafone sim card (transferred the number from old one without issues within 10 minutes).

The only app that I installed is Viber and What's up.

No problems till the end of the day.

Today left home at 6 am, 100% battery. No issues.

Went to the meeting 8 am. Left phone on the desk, WiFi connected.

Came back at 10:30 - phone warm and unresponsive - picture of display attached.

Just now (10:36) the phone is responsive again.Battery status - 63%.

So....

I am going to uninstall What's up and Viber and do that cache thing (do you happen to have step-by-step instructions, please?)

Will keep you updated on progress, but does anyone have any immediate thoughts? I am pretty sure it is something I am doing wrong.

I did follow advice and didn't even transfer anything form my old mobile onto this one.

I only took one picture and set up only one email (gmail), set up one alarm and two reminders in the calendar.

I am getting desperate :Sad_face:

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Check your sync and backup settings, does your phone have an SD card with lots of photos on, it's possible you could be backing all those up and using a lot of battery life, that could also make the phone warm as the processor will be working hard.

hrym

That's a good point, @63johnw.   It looks as though this may be something that's happening on wifi (and syncing is often restricted to that, of course).   Against that, would photos sync without an app being specifically installed and set up, which I don't think the OP has done.  I've been using Android devies for a good many years, but only recently started using Google Photos - it wasn't enabled by default.

@1234567890 Can you try turning wifi off and see whether that solves the problem?   If it does, John's suggestion is almost certainly correct.

I did not put any SD card in yet, as I was suspecting it could be a problem.

So definitely backing up is not happening. Shall I still check sync and back up setting? Sorry for all the questions. Please imagine you are talking to a 5 year old.

hrym

In the first instance, just leave wifi off and see if that stops the problem happening.  If it does, then something is happening in background (on wifi) and we can try to track it down, though the simple solution may be to leave the phone on charge for an extended period while it's connected to wifi and let the process run.  With luck, further syncs will just be new data and therefore not cause a problem.

If you want to look at sync settings, go into the main Settings menu and look for Accounts & Sync.   It'll list everything so that you can see what you have.  For 3rd party accounts, you may need to go into the individual app and look at its settings from there.  For Google, there'll be tick boxes for each of the services.   Apart from Photos, though, most of the syncing is pretty quick.  Each service will show the date of last sync and whether it's up to date (if there's a rotating arrow symbol, it's syncing now).

63johnw
You can sync photos via the Google account to google photos, there was a problem syncing to Picasa some years back.

63johnw
Before that have a look at settings. Battery then tap on battery usage and see what it says is using battery.

Guys thank you so much, you are fab.

Please see attched the screen shot of my battery usage.

I switched off all the syncing.

That WiFi issue makes sense , as I noticed this issue happens every time I get to work, when I switch from mobile network to WiFi.

hrym

In that case, leave the phone on charge when you're at work and turn syncing back on.  With luck, that'll do whatever the large sync job is and you'll be OK for incremental syncs after that.