Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung J5 problem connecting on wifi

Auntieshaz
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I hope someone will be able to help me please. A few weeks ago my nephew cleared the cache on my phone, without my permission :Sad_face:

Afew days later I noticed that when at home the connection between my phone and my wifi was not the same as it used to be. I had it set up so that as soon as I got home I would switch off mobile data and just use the wifi. For almost a year this worked perfectly and I never used up all my mobile data allowance. However, since his actions I have to keep taping the wifi to keep it connected and certain apps like whatsapp will only work if I leave mobile data on. This has meant that this month for the first time I have been caught out on my useage and had to pay extra. I have been to a Vodafone shop and the manager said I had to leave my mobile data on for phone to work. Surely not? If I am at my friends or parents I can log into their wifi and my husband has no problem on his phone with our wifi. My niece was here this weekend, she has the identical phone to me and she was able to connect to our home wifi and not use mobile data so what is happening? Am I just having a senior moment?

Any answers or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Auntieshaz

As some phones will actively seek to maintain connection via the strongest way possible people do turn off Mobile Data to keep on wifi (or if possible turn off that feature in the phone to stop it searching)

Also people turn off Mobile Data when abroad to maintain wifi connection and not get caught on data costs. 

Some Apps can have preference settings to be able to control how it connects. 

Some phones have preferences settings too. 

If this scenario is happening no matter what wifi source your using then if this was my phone I'd create a back up and factory reset. 

If no resolution then if the phone is supplied by Vodafone they apply a 24 Month Manufacturing Warranty so it could be sent away for a diagnostic. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for the info. :smileyhappy:

hrym

You certainly don't need to keep mobile data on for your phone to work - I've run mine on wifi only for several days when I've been close to my allowance.   The fact that it worked before also pretty much confirms this.   The behaviour is odd and my initial reaction is to say that it can't have anything to do with clearing the cache, except that, if thing A happens immediately after thing B, it's reasonable to suspect a connection (though it can also be coincidence).

In the first instance, it might be worth setting the connection up again.  Long press your home network in the list and choose "Forget".  You'll have to log in again, and that might fix it.   You could also experiement with other networks  - does it lose these in the same way? (that would rule out a router issue).

If you're still having issues, you'll need to try a reset, but that's a bit of a pain.   If you do, don't forget to back up your content first - and remove the sd card if you have one, as the process sometimes formats them.

Ah, thank you . Will give this a go and see what happens. Fingers crossed! :smileyhappy: