cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Note 7?! Holding out for a better deal?!

Pkblue
3: Seeker
Is anyone else holding onto their Note 7 until they are offered a better deal/option/incentive from Vodafone?!

I had a call earlier today from Vodafone to discuss my "options" when returning my "dangerous" Note 7.

I was offered the chance to return to my previous contract and see it out or to swap (downgrade) to a Samasung S7 edge or lesser model on a new 24 month contract. Since I don't have my old handset my options are limited! There is also no cash incentive in the UK to swap like there is in other countries! I was told by the Vodafone guy that vodafone's customer incentive was "to not have a phone that would blow up in your face"!

But the guy I spoke to also said that there will be no expiry on this recall. Since statistically the chances of my note igniting are about double the chance of being struck by lightning and there have been no incidents at all in Europe; I'm thinking maybe I could delay a little while. Therefore I'm thinking of hanging onto my Note 7 until the S8 comes out in a few months - then go ahead and make the swap.

Anyone else thinking of doing the same?!
7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Certain blogs I've read suggests the Samsung Galaxy s8 has been delayed because of the situation with the Note 7. 

Personally I'd want the device out of my possession. 

If this was my situation I'd return it via DpD then have the account returned to pre upgrade status and possibly choose sim only on 12 months and buy a suitable phone to tide me over until something hits the shelves I want. And then convert it to a full account with phone again. 

Msybe someone you know has a phone spare to tide you over. Especially with people upgrading to the new iPhones. 

Also as another option CEX sells unwanted upgrades and unwanted / traded in phones which could tide you over. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Pkblue
Neither of which is an acceptable option to me. I don't want to go back to paying on a contract for a phone I no longer have in addition taking out a 12 month SIM only plan. And then buy an old cheap phone to use it with?! Seriously, who does that?! There is absolutely no financial incentive to do that.

Vodafone won't let me leave til January anyway if I wait and decide to go once my previous contract would have ended. So stuck for now...

It seems like there are still over a million people still using their Note 7 globally.

http://bgr.com/2016/10/20/galaxy-note-7-exploding-recall-ignored/

The more I read on this the more I'm convinced just to wait for a better UK deal from Vodafone/Samsung or for the new S8.

*can you provide a link regarding a delay to the S8?! Everything I read is saying that Samsung will be bringing forward the release, not delaying it.

BandOfBrothers

Hi,

As I said "If this was my situation"

If a person decides to ignore the recall and do not power down the device and still actively use it then that's very much an informed decision and in my own opinion an ill advised one. 

http://www.mobilechoiceuk.com/News/43425/samsungs-note-7-troubleshooting-delays-galaxy-s8-developmen...

http://www.techradar.com/news/samsungs-galaxy-s8-may-have-already-been-delayed

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/samsung-delays-galaxy-s8-development-engineers-still-looking-into-cause-not...

Current Phone  >

Pkblue
Thanks for that. Looks like the S8 will be out in Feb/March then.

I'm hoping now that Samsung role out their new incentive to the UK too.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN12O0GP

I wouldn't mind an S7edge to tide me over to the S8 launch but only if I get to swap to it then. I won't be tied into a 24 month contract to a phone that's already been out ages and it's replacement is only a few months away!

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome.   :Smiling:

I chose the Samsung Galaxy s7 edge which was launched in March 2016 and purchased directly from the Samsung Experience Store. 

It's an awesome phone.

I have used iPhones from the 4 omnwards but the iPhone 7 variants for me didn't bring anything new to the table that interested me. 

No one knows what the s8 will bring to the table either aesthetically or under its hood. My philosophy is if one waited for what's new out around the corner then one wouldn't make a purchase at all.  :Winking_smiley:

Current Phone  >

Pkblue
The S7 is a good phone but obviously offers less than the note7; but it still offers more than any other manufacturers flagship!

The argument now is that Samsung are gonna pull out all the stops when it comes to the new S8. They are gonna have to produce an amazing phone way more advanced than any of its rivals to jumpstart their reputation. Samsung have the tech to do that. Whereas they might have staggered the introduction of certain features over the next 2/3 generations; they could if they are smart load up the S8, wow their customers and their critics to re-crown themselves king of the smartphones.

So why take an S7 for two years and potentially miss out on something very exciting?!!

I spoke to Vodafone again today. They really don't know what the hell they are doing. Passed around 4 people to be told that someone will call me back in 3-5 days time to discuss 'options'. I actually now think it would be less painful for a note7 to blow up in my face than having to deal with Vodafone customer services again!

Therefore, unless I am prevented from doing otherwise, I intend to hold onto and continue using my note 7 until the new Samsung S8 becomes available next year; at which point I will happily swap.

Alternatively, I will accept an S7 now on the condition that I can upgrade/swap it to an S8 upon its release next year.

Any Vodafone reps reading this - what you think to that?!

Any other Note 7 users thinking along the same lines?!

BandOfBrothers

I agree my Samsung Galaxy s7 edge is a really good piece of kit. 

If the s8 ticks my wants and needs boxes I'll buy it from Samsung. 

Regarding your own informed choice knowing the potential issue to keep using your Note 7 I'll leave with you.  

Current Phone  >