Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung SII - Upgrade to 4.3 or above

IanSpencer
1: Seeker

Microsoft have just announced that Skype will not be supported on my stock Vodafone SII as it runs a version lower than 4.2. It's not the only app I've had where support has been turned off.

Given that this phone is less than 2 years old, is not even within upgrade time, isn't it a bit of a problem that this phone is only running at 4.1.2 and is considered obsolete?

Seems like as a contract user, Vodafone have a choice of bringing forward their upgrade opportunity or giving Samsung a clip round the ear and get them to offer a reasonable period of upgrades on their products. It's not like the SII is underpowered or lacking in memory.

2 REPLIES 2

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

HI there

I've done a bit of research for you on this and it would appear that Samsung aren't rolling out an official update to 4.2 at the moment.  It is a bit unclear if they will or won't do so.  Also looking at the available firmware updates, it appears that Vodafone have one of the the latest updates available, with some other carriers only offering 4.0.3.  This does appear to not just be an issue with the UK carriers either.

If you want to bring your upgrade date forward, you can by buying out the time remaining in the contract.

PWIAC

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

It sounds to me as though the target of your irritation should be Microsoft as they develop Skype. Neither Vodafone as the network nor Samsung has any control over what a 3rd party defeloper does, even one as large as MS.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png