Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung s8

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

I had the pleasure to have a little use of an s8 but only for a couple of minutes.gotta admit it's a top notch phone but is it worth an upgrade from a s7 edge and the people in the know all seem to say if you have got an s6 then it's the ultimate upgrade but from a s7 edge they would all stick latter.

At first I thought I should of waited 2 more months but I personally don't think the price jump from s7 to s8 is worthy at this moment.

Although having said that if  I could spend two days with one I may change my mind.

I noticed in another thread that some one had figured out to bypass the security by holding a selfie picture to the phone to unlock it.no doubt they will have addressed that issue.

Has any one here made the jump and got themselves one or thinking of getting one would be interesting to hear other people's opinions😎

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

I use the original Samsung Black Leather clip on case. The one in my review of the s7 edge. £40 but the quality of workmanship and materials are top class. 

This case provides me added grip and protection to the sides and back. 

The Gorilla Corning Glass that's used by Samsung is pretty hard wearing. When I'm out and about my phone is in my shirt pocket. 

When at work I use a PdAir Holster with belt clip. This is hidden by my shirt. So I've less chance of scratching it from keeping it in my pocket where lint and specs of dust etc can scratch it. It boggles me how people keep their phones in their pocket along with keys and coins etc. 

I do not baby my phones but as I pay full retail price and sometimes sell my phones on I get a better return by looking after them. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers

Hi @SKYMAN513

Both s8 variants are impressive phones. 

The comparable s8 to the s7 edge is the s8+

I think the s8 hits the sweet spot for me. It's just slightly taller then my s7 edge but not as wide. The edge parts seem less steep so that and the width difference makes them easy in the hand. That said a case is still advised. It has a smaller capacity battery than my s7 edge bit the new chipset should optimise output thus hopefully negating any real difference in screen on time. 

I'm holding off for now until possibly September when hopefully the Note 8 will be unpacked. It would be my first Note series owned. 

By that time I will have been able to view YouTube unboxings and real user reviews on how the s8 phones perform in the real world. 

Then I'll make my decision. 

Current Phone  >

yes I read that about the chipset,Samsung themselves said in comparison to the s7 edge the new chip offers up to 40% but as you have said in other threads battery usage differs for every one as we all use our phones different 

I think if I had one at the moment I would be on high alert all the time making sure you never drop or scratch.

It's bad enough with my 7 edge,but I've settled on a UAG but am really struggling to find something to protect the screen if be gutted if I got the tiniest scratch 

BandOfBrothers

I use the original Samsung Black Leather clip on case. The one in my review of the s7 edge. £40 but the quality of workmanship and materials are top class. 

This case provides me added grip and protection to the sides and back. 

The Gorilla Corning Glass that's used by Samsung is pretty hard wearing. When I'm out and about my phone is in my shirt pocket. 

When at work I use a PdAir Holster with belt clip. This is hidden by my shirt. So I've less chance of scratching it from keeping it in my pocket where lint and specs of dust etc can scratch it. It boggles me how people keep their phones in their pocket along with keys and coins etc. 

I do not baby my phones but as I pay full retail price and sometimes sell my phones on I get a better return by looking after them. 

Current Phone  >

I saw your case in your review and that was what I tried looking for as it protects the screen but I couldn't find it,and the ones which looked like it were too cheap 

I've found by getting the wrong case can cause damage to the itself as happened to my s5.

Over time it word the plastic off the edges 

BandOfBrothers

@SKYMAN513 wrote:

I saw your case in your review and that was what I tried looking for as it protects the screen but I couldn't find it,and the ones which looked like it were too cheap 

I've found by getting the wrong case can cause damage to the itself as happened to my s5.

Over time it word the plastic off the edges 

Unfortunately @SKYMAN513 it does not serve to protect my s7 edge screen.

Its also does not give any protection if you lay it face down not that I ever do. Some cases provide a few mm's above the screen to give that type of protection. 

My case provides me extra grip and protects the back too and sides too. 

Current Phone  >