Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Saving photos onto my computer

Eastwood_Aine
1: Seeker

I dropped my Vodafone Smart Prime 6 and now half the screen won't work so I can't type my PIN. I'm going to buy a new one, but I have photos on this phone I don't want to loose. I've tried saving them onto my computer but my computer just says there aren't photos stored on it. Is there any wa I can save these photos?

6 REPLIES 6

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Hi. If you connect your phone and have it switched on then the phone memory should show up like an external drive. Photos are normally stored in the DCIM folder.

Are you seeing anything like this?

no its just showing my phone as a portable media player

63johnw
This is from the manual that @BandOfBrothers posted.

Does this help?

6.4 Connecting to a computer via USB With the USB cable, you can transfer media files and other files between your phone and computer. To connect: • Use the USB cable that came with your phone to connect the phone to a USB port on your computer. You will receive a notification that the USB is connected. • Open the Notification panel and touch Connected as a media device, then, in the next dialog, choose the way in which you want to transfer files.

AnnS

Hi @Eastwood_Aine

If you are going to purchase a new phone from a Vodafone Store, the Vodafone Red Box will transfer all your contacts and content, including photos, to the new phone.

There is further information on Red Box on the link below.

Support - How do I transfer photos from my old phone to my new phone?

It is always a good idea to back up your content.  I always think Dropbox works well.  You can also back up to your PC and Google.

63johnw
Forgot about that option @AnnS 😀

hrym

When you connect the phone to the computer, you should get the option to connect either as a media player or as mass storage (ie external memory).  Always choose the latter to browse files.  However, getting a Vodafone shop to try their Red Box would save a lot of hassle and, if they can't do it, it probably isn't possible.

For the future, consider an external sd card for photo storage as it can be transferred to another device if the phone fails.  You can/should also set photos to back up to Dropbox or Google Photos (use the wifi only option to save mobile data).   That will back them up and you can also sync them down to a PC.