Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Smart Platinum 7 bootloop

Climbingpie
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

My Smart Platinum 7 is stuck on bootloop.

I've done a factory reset from the recovery mode (a few times), in the hopes that this would help, but now it's stuck in a seemingly endless loop of switching on, loading to a certain point, then switching off and re-setting.  From what I've read on here it seems as though it's a battery issue.  I checked the battery chart (when it was just an intermittent issue, and the graph dropped to 0% several times, before climbing back to the actual charge level when it switched back on, which seems to support it being a battery issue).

My question is, how good is a factory re-set for actually removing all of the data on the phone's internal storage.  Is there likely to be some long deleted images on there that will be able to be recovered by some tech person when they are looking at my phone, and is data recovery likely to be part of their plans for this?

The reason I ask is that there are (hopefully were) some images on there of a "personal nature", which I want to be confident will be totally gone before I send it off to be repaired.

Thanks

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi. If a factory reset has been carried out and the SD card removed then any photos should be gone from the device.

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

63johnw

Hi. If a factory reset has been carried out and the SD card removed then any photos should be gone from the device.

Hi

Thanks for that, i've managed to switch it on long enough to add disk digger and it says that there's no images on there.

Do you know of any others that I could use to be certain?  Or anything I could use to check if it is actually the battery (some battery diagnostic app maybe)

Thanks for the help.

hrym

I've seen it suggested that you can enable encryption and then reset.  I tried that once and it wouldn't do it unti the encryption was removed, but it was a loan device with specific firmware, so it might have been that.  Worth a go.

Thanks, I've seen places saying that a factory reset doesn't necessarily remove everything if you look hard enough, what's the chances of a normal repair making them look that hard? 

Just don't want others seeing my private pictures. 

Thanks

hrym

Frankly, I suspect they have better things to do.  Of course, Gary Glitter was caught because he told the technicians not to look in a specific folder, though that wasn't deleted stuff.   (Not suggesting your stuff is THAT dodgy!)

The security concerns relate more to devices sold on and the ultimate destination being unknown.

Haha not quite that bad :Smiling: more embarrassing than anything. 

Thanks for the reassurance.