Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Smart Prime 7

widgetwilk39
10: Established
10: Established

Proud ower of this smart 7 phone, but am being told that wifi connection in my area is bad, can get connected anywhere else, so am at a loss whether to just accept it at home or do you think a booster at £69 would solve the problem, it is a lot of money just to try it, have ask for one and the phone operator did try  but no luck,

Would appreciate your advice.

16 REPLIES 16

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Hi. You say WiFi connection, do you mean mobile data?

If you have WiFi at home that will give you signal at home using a sure signal box, but only at home, not the surrounding area.

Hi thanks for reply, not sure what you mean by mobile data,

I have WiFi at home, service provider Plusnet, have a wirless router, and have connected right with the right key/router number,

when I went back to the shop they look something up and said I was in a 'grey' area, but was no more help.

Mobile Data is when you use your phone to access the Internet via Vodafone's Network. i.e. 3G etc. 

Wifi is when your phone connects to your broadband provider and its router or when you connect to a shops wifi like a coffee shop. 

Many people then turn off Mobile Data in the phones settings so this forces the phone to stay on wifi as not to use any tariff data allowance.  

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I feel such a prat, have just phoned the head office of the shop I got the phone from and found the most intellegant man I have spoken to,

he talked me through connecting it again to my WiFi and it now works,

still not to clear about a lot of things on the phone, so I might be back,

but all I can say is a big big thank you to you all and also for the quick replies.

might ask for an exclamation to this

Many people then turn off Mobile Data in the phones settings so this forces the phone to stay on wifi as not to use any tariff data allowance.  

Can you tell me 'simply' how to do this. and as I don't think I will use the internet a lot out of doors, is it worth me knowing this???

thank you all again.

BandOfBrothers

Hi @widgetwilk39

You could use the Vodafone Network Checker to see what's indicated as a signal available in your area although it's not guaranteed. 

Link > Vodafone Network Checker.

Vodafone have provided a specific Self Help Thread that holds Initial Checks and a Template that asks certain questions that will Help us and the Tech Team to ascertain what's possibly going wrong in your area. Please would you re post the template with your answers.

Link : http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Network-queries/Network-issues-initial-checks-and-template/td-p/18566...

In regards to a phones wifi feature then some phones can be better than others when connecting to wifi. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

63johnw
Hi. You say WiFi connection in your area is bad, not sure why you are being told this with regards a mobile phone?

Can you use the phone, not connected to WiFi for the internet, calls and texts with no problems?

63johnw
Hi. There are a couple of ways to do this.

If you drag down from the top of the screen to reveal a menu with lots of shortcuts. One is normally for mobile data, deselect to turn off.

If not there go to settings, more, mobile network then turn off mobile data.

OK. might have that, but what is the advantage and disadvantage of doing this,

63johnw
It means your phone won't connect to the internet or sync apps and updates unless you are on WiFi.

It means you won't use any of your mobile data allowance and so shouldn't exceed your allowance and run up additional costs.

That's it really, if you want to connect when out and about you will need to use free wi-fi such as the cloud, or you just need to turn on your data by reversing what you have just done.