Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Smart Speed 6 not connecting to 4G

stepham10
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have recently bought a Smart Speed 6. I wanted a cheap, second phone for the sole purpose of checking 4G coverage and running speed tests. I live in rural Aberdeenshire and I am trying to map out 4G coverage as and when it becomes available.

The problem I have is that my phone rarely wants to connect to 4G, it much prefers to saty on H or H+, I can drive across the city of Aberdeen and pass many Vodafone 4G masts yet still it stays on H+.

Sometmes switching the phone off & on helps but not always. Sometimes going into Mobile Networks and manually selecting 4G works but not always. The default setting for Preferred Network Type is 4G/3G/2G Auto.

Does anyone know how I can connect to 4G when it's available?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

Yes if the SIM card is faulty they'll perform a sim swap for you. 

Any Vodafone store can do this. 

Takes from a few minutes and very occasionally up to 24 hours to complete. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers

Hi

Sometimes a sim swap to replace the SIM card can help in such circumstances. Any Vodafone shop can perform this. 

Most smartphones will in my opinion seek out the most stable signal / speed so that maybe why it's connecting as it is. 

Process of elimination: Can you try you're Sim card in another phone to rule out either the Sim or Phone which may be at fault. 

Current Phone  >

I have a 2nd SIM card & a Samsung phone & it connects to 4G much more than the Smart Speed. I will maybe try swapping the SIM cards around like you say.

Thank you for your help.

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome. 

Although I have no stats etc I believe some phones can connect better than others. Again that's just my personal opinion. 

Current Phone  >

Ok so I think it may be my SIM that is the problem.

I took my old Vodafone SIM card and put it in the VF handset and it has been picking up 4G indoors all morning. 

I also put the new SIM card into my unlocked Samsung phone and it isn't even accessing the mobile network.

Do you think Vodafone will replace the SIM card? WOuld I need to go into a store to do this?

BandOfBrothers

Hi

Yes if the SIM card is faulty they'll perform a sim swap for you. 

Any Vodafone store can do this. 

Takes from a few minutes and very occasionally up to 24 hours to complete. 

Current Phone  >

Superb that's great. Thank you very much for your help 🙂