Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Smart Ultra 6 - can't download pictures

Dene_L
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Trying to download 140 pictures from phone to Windows 10 pro 64 bit PC. If I select Transfer files (MTP) or Transfer Photos (PTP), message on PC says Nothing to Import.  If I look on Windows explorer, there are no files in the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6\internal storage\pictures folders. Phone Gallery, camera shows over 100 photos. How can I get them off the phone?

10 REPLIES 10

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi, does that phone take an SD card? If so have you one in your phone and saved the photos to it?

Thanks for replying, there is a slot for a micro SDHC card, but there is no card installed. It is now running Android version 6.0.1.   I have successfully downloaded photos on several occassions in the past on  earlier Android versions. The last time was on 27th March this year.  I don't know if it was then on Android 5 or 6.0.0.

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Dene_L

When you plug your phone into your PC, you should get a notification asking what you'd like to do when the phone is connected. 

Usually this menu opens automatically. If it hasn't, plug your phone in as you usually do and then go to the main screen of your phone. Drag your finger down from the top of your screen to bring up the quick menu and there should be option to choose what to do when the phone is connected. Select MTP and your PC should be able to see the Root menu of your device.

If that hasn't worked, you'll need to go to - 

1. Phone settings
  2. Apps
  3. Tap the three dots on the top right to select
  4. Show system apps
  5. External Storage and Media storage
  6. Delete data and cache.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks for your help.

Connecting the phone as you describe and selecting MTP allows the PC to see the folders in the phone, but the Pictures folder is empty. The pop up on the PC says nothing to download, just shows 1 picture which has already been downloaded in October 2015, which is a screen print from the phone.

Moving to you second suggestion, found app called External Services with 12 KB  in storage,, selected Storage, and deleted data .

No change, still nothing in the pictures folder on the pc and pop up still shows the 1 files which was downloaded in 2015. 

Looking in Gallery to check the pictures are still there, they are, I see within Albums several images, the first is Camera showing 143, next album is called 0 which contains the one screen shot which was downloaded in 2015, next is Pictures containing 1, the remaining 2 show what I assume are sleeves from audio books stored on the phone. It seems that all I can download is the Album called 0.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

thesoupdragon

When you connect your Phone to Windows, open the Windows Explorer App.

You should see either a icon that looks like a Phone or a new Drive letter that represents your Phone.

Double left click on the Phone icon/drive letter to open the folder structure of your phone.

You should be able to browse to your Camera Folder, simply copy and paste the images you want onto your PC

explorer_2017-05-14_22-53-45.pngexplorer_2017-05-14_22-54-16.pngexplorer_2017-05-14_22-54-58.png

Hi, This takes me back to where I started, the problem is there are no files visible in virtually all of the Vodafone Smart ultra 6 folders and sub folders. 

Windows Explorer This PC > Vodafone Smart ultra 6 > Internal storage > Pictures  shows  "This folder is empty"

I have tried to insert a screen print below, I don't know if it will be displayed.

I have stopped the Virus protection app and repeatedly cleared  the data 12.00 KB in External Storage app as advised above in case this prevents the files from being displayed. I haven't deleted the 2.11 MB in Media Storage app, worried that this could delete things that are required.

Do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks

hrym

Can I suggest a workround (two actually).

1. Install a file manager app such as Cheetah's File Manager or ES File Manager and, in the Cloud section, set it to log on to your PC via wifi (you may need to set up a shared folder on the PC).

2. Upload the pics to Google Drive, Dropbox or similar and then install the services program on the PC.   If you also sync the phone, you'll get automatic cloud backups into the bargain.

I assume the the folder path above is where camera images are stored on the phone?  If not, go ito the Gallery app and get the details of one of the pics.   That should show the full file path.

thesoupdragon

Open the "Camera" folder you say the pictures are in, with the phones File Manager.

Select all the pictures, then tap on the 3 dots (usually top right of screen)

Select "Share"

Choose Google Drive

This will upload your pics into your Google drive cloud storage, from there you can download to your pc.

Thank you. I was able to upload all of the pictures to Google Drive and then download them to my PC, so success at last. It seems such a long winded and complicated method, taking over 2 hours to upload into Google Drive. 

The earlier version of android allowed me to directly download to my PC in a matter of seconds.

It seems very strange that android hides the file contents so they can't be seen to transfer directly.

I will continue to search for a direct transfer solution.

Once again, very many thanks fo all those who offered help and advise.