Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Smart Ultra 6 internal storage space available after marshmallow update

marky1124
3: Seeker
Hi,
I have a UK SU6 with about 2GB of free internal storage space. I struggle to free up much more. My question is what will be the impact to my free internal storage space if I let it install Marshmallow? My total space shows as 11.16GB at the moment.
I have an SD card and on apps that allow it I've moved their stored data to the SD card, e.g. pluralsight downloaded training videos. I've only moved one app to SD card.
Cheers,
Mark
10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @marky1124

I find it best Practice to allow ample storage space for the update and close down open apps to free up ram etc. 

Dispose of old / rarely used apps and other personal data such as texts, emails,calendar entries, notes, music , video , tones etc. 

Create a Back Up before proceeding , enduring the phone is above 50% charge or on charge and on wifi to save your Vodafone Data allowance. 

Be aware. 

Some have reported that after updating to Marshmallow on their Vodafone phones the option to move Apps from the phones internal storage to Sd Card has been removed. 

I'll find the threads and and add them for you to take a look at. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

i.e. 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Android/Can-I-use-adopted-storage-with-the-Ultra-7/td-p/2555690

Current Phone  >

marky1124
@BandOfBrothers, thank you very much for the comprehensive advice. I've also seen concerns about how the SD card is handled in the SU6 Marshmallow update. Hence my question about whether I'll have less free space to juggle with after the update than I have now?

BandOfBrothers

Hi,

You're welcome.  :Smiling:

Look at what internal space you have right now. 

Look what you can move to the Sd Card minus apps. i.e. Music,video,pictures etc. 

Look at what you can delete. 

Look at the firmware file download size. 

Think about any new apps , new information you may download, software updates in the near future. i.e Future proofing. 

Current Phone  >

marky1124
Thanks @BandOfBrothers

I'd appreciate it if someone who has this device and who has upgraded to Marshmallow would be kind enough to tell me what it reports as the Total Space for the internal storage.

Cheers
Mark

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome.

According to this site it's 11gb user available.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mobile-phones/1403548/vodafone-smart-ultra-6-review-a-bargain-phablet...

I hope a member can confirm / correct. . 

Current Phone  >

marky1124
Yes, as I said in my OP it is 11.16GB with Android 5.1.1. I'd like to know what it is after the marshmallow update. As you say hopefully someone will be kind enough to reply and let us know.

hrym

I'd normally say that 2gb is a bit tight, but I've done platform updates on a device with only about 1gb available.   A lot depends on the size of the download and the available working memory., as well as space needed for temporary files (if any).   FWIW, that device also had a small SD card in it.

You can maximise resources by making sure app updates are complete, clearing recent apps and the system cache, and restarting the phone.   I'd never do an update on battery, but have the phone plugged in.   The process is quite intensive and there's no way of checking the battery while it's running.

marky1124

I have now been told by someone that has done this upgrade that their available internal storage space is still 11.16GB. This is what they reported their phone showing...

Total space 16.00 GB

System ROM 4.84 GB

User ROM total 11.16 GB

Cheers,

Mark