Solution

Software Updates

bolo
12: Established

Wife got a notification apparently from Vodafone stating:

Software Updates

New software update available 

The message has a green upwards facing arrow alongside. 

As neither of us has ever had a similar notification from Vodafone before, we are wondering if the message is genuine? Any ideas?

23 REPLIES 23

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

I back up by using the iCloud samsung account in my phones settings. 

Your phone will have a create a back up section. 

I also use an online vault called Dropbox. 

Google offers options such as Google drive. 

Id suggest to use Google Search as all the information you need is at your fingertips. YouTube is full of tutorials too. :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @bolo

The images should be saved to your SD card.  You must remove the SD card before doing the update.  Sometimes doing an update can reformat the SD card.

If you attach the phone to the PC, you should be able to back up images to your Dropbox or Google account.  You should also be able to open an image file on the PC when attaching your phone to the PC using the USB connector.  You will need to download the PC drivers and then import your images to a new file and open a file for your contacts and other content.

bolo

No PC, just an iPad and a phone☹️

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@bolo The advice previously given is all great and will help you to resolve your issue. :Smiling:

To manually back up your photos and videos from an Android phone, please follow these instructions: 

1. Connect your phone to your computer through the USB cable that came with your phone.
  2. Open your computers file explorer. In Windows this can be done by right clicking the start menu and choosing file explorer.
  3. On the left side of the explorer window you can see you mobile phone name, go ahead and click it to start looking for your photos.
  4. The file structure can be different on different phones but your images will be there in a folder named pictures or something like that.
  5. If you can not find them try searching your phone by using *.png or *.jpg in the search field.
  6. Once you have found the pictures simply mark them all with the cursor and right click them.
  7. From the menu that appears choose copy or move depending on whether or not you want a copy to stay on your phone as well.
  8. through your explorer go to the place where you want to keep you backup and right click once more.
  9. Choose paste from the drop down menu that appears, and your files will start copying or moving to the new location.

If you need any further help, please let us know.

bolo

Hi Colleen and  thank you for your input. Unfortunately, we don't have a computer.

bolo

Now have all photos on Google Drive. Is there any easy way of saving contacts?

AnnS

Hi @bolo

Contacts should already be synchronised and backed up to your gmail account. Log in to gmail and check.

As soon as you log into your gmail account fom the phone, contacts should copy over.

bolo

Thanks Ann. Have logged into gmail acct but can't see contacts anywhere. How do I access them?

hrym

@bolo wrote:

Thanks Ann. Have logged into gmail acct but can't see contacts anywhere. How do I access them?

Just to answer this.

Assuming you are on the full Google website (not the mobile one), "Gmail" appears between "Google" and "Compose" on the left hand side of the Mail screen.   It's a dropdown and you can switch the view to Contacts from there.

bolo

Update: my wife's phone doesn't have an sd card fitted!