Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Storage in Smart Ultra 7

jonesnewton
4: Newbie

Hi all, 

I have the 16GB size storage, but when veiwing the used amount it is a little confusing? It states 5.80GB, then below total used of 9.77GB,(this 5.80GB amount changes when adding - removing) so this sounds like the total max size is 9.77GB not 16GB?. When you open the storage section it does clearly state 16GB total space with 3.5GB used for system memory,but however you calculate the apps and stuff it does not add up to 16GB? I currently have 2.26GB apps and 1.62GB audio, plus 231Mb images, so this totals aprrox 3.88 used from 9.77 = 5.89 left. I tried to ask in the shop but they only suggest on returning the phone if I am not happy!

Is there a hidden partition that cannot be seen?

If I were to buy a new SD card what is the best size for the phone to work with? And the Max size?

Sorry to ask here questions, but there is no real customer service within Czech Republic, even the Czechs state this 😞

TIA

17 REPLIES 17

hrym
17: Community Champion

The security will be dependent on what you have on phone - that would be a PIN, pattern or fingerprint.   Once the device is unlocked, anyone can access the content and transfer it elsewhere.   It's entirely true that an unencrypted sd card can be removed and read without unlocking the device.  That would be one reason, if it's unencrypted, for not putting anything sensitive one it - which you probably wouldn't anyway.  All account info should remain on the phone and most apps don't allow you to change personal information - that has to be done via a separate login on their website.

Personally I prefer to have cards as external storage but now that you've got yours the way it is, and you're happy with it, I'd be inclined to leave it alone.

Hi, thanks.

I have copied stuff from SD card and formatted it, it is as you say, I can now see both drives.

I did this to try to find a way to move photos from the internal drive, but I cannot find a way of doing this? I can veiw them on the mobile but not move them, and also on the laptop I cannot veiw or see them?

Any ideas?

TIA

Hi

I have searched for ways to move photos, but no luck, any ideas?

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jonesnewton – You should be able to connect to your laptop via the USB port and then access your pictures through the file manager. :

Take a look at our support pages for more info on transferring pictures to a computer

Hi Thanks.

I have tried this method before but it does not work as I cannot see anything? The tutorial is for a UTC mob, so settings are different.

As I said before I must have changed something when playing with SD card setup?

If you look at screen shots you will see there is no pics in DCIM but I can veiw them on the mobile?

I have worked out the SD card issues with help from people on here :-), thanks for this, but its the pics issue now I have have?

hrym

The should be a file manager app on the phone (look in the app drawer).   You can use that - it shouldn't be necessary to use a PC and I don't think the gallery app supports file moves.

It's also a good idea to set the file location to the card in the camera's settings - it'll be one of the options there.   If you do that and then take a picture, that'll create the relevant folder and you can copy all the other photos there to keep them all in one place.

Always copy and then confirm that everything's OK before you delete the originals.   There is a move option but, if anything goes wrong, you can find that although the copy stage fails, the delete one completes just fine (been there, done that :smileyembarrassed:) and you've lost the lot!

Edited to add: as a belt 'n' braces backup, it's a good idea to set your photos to sync with Dropbox or Google Photos.   That way they're safe if anything goes wrong on the phone.  It's a convenient way of transferring them to a PC, too.

Hi, I have tried FileManager but it only has the 20 pics I took today, but if I go to Photos icon and open I can see all I have taken since new? So I have now checked my Gmail account (I dont normally use this one) after a prompt from the last post 🙂 and hey :smileyhappy: the pics are there.. They must of uploaded without me knowing, a good job really..

Thanks again for your time and pateince, I will learn how to use this mobile, someday :smileyhappy: I will play and experiment as suggested to see I can move and save all ok..

hrym

Depending on the layout of the specific app you have, I'd expect there to be separate tabs for internal storage and the card.   You'd need to switch between them.   The gallery app will pick up everything, regardless of location.  It sounds as though the camera may have switched to card storage by itself - I had to reset one recently and it effectively did that.

It's worth moving the old photos to the card to free up space on the phone but, as I said, copy & delete as separate operations rather than moving.