Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Text Transfer

sidsilver
4: Newbie

Is there a free programme for transferring text messages from my old phone to my new phone, both being Android phones.

14 REPLIES 14

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

You can use SMS backup + which is a free download from the Play Store.

Alternatvely if your new handset is a Samsung, it will often prompt to transfer text messages as part of the setup process.

PWIAC

Hi, has SMS backup+ got to be on both phones?

drey_p

@sidsilver wrote:

Yep. It backs everything to your GMail account. You then restore this backup from Gmail on the new handset

PWIAC

@drey_p wrote:

@sidsilver wrote:

Yep. It backs everything to your GMail account. You then restore this backup from Gmail on the new handset

Just done that and it worked like a treat, thanks.

Is there a free programme for transferring contacts?

hrym
17: Community Champion

If you aren't using Gmail, have a look at the Android transfer tool.   When I used it (admittedly between two HTCs), there were quite a few selectable options.

Yes I'm using gmail, and I have got all my contacts of the old Android phone to my new phone.

I now need to transfer contacts from a Windows 10 phone to the Android is that going to be difficult.

I've managed to transfer the Windows phone contacts using gmail so all sorted now.

hrym

Glad to hear you're sorted.  Apart from proprietary cables/apps, one of the easiest ways of transferring contacts between devices, especially if you don't have a sync'd service, is via the Export/Import function.   If you choose vCard as the output format, most contacts apps can read that.

FWIW, when I briefly used a Windows phone, I found that it wouldn't display any of the fields I'd given custom names to in Gmail.