Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Totally Frustrating - Smart Ultra 6

uk3g
4: Newbie

My initial Smart Ultra 6 went in for repair but could not be fixed so a used replacement was offered.Following the recent update to Marshmallow the phone has become almost useless. Firstly, the Home button froze causing all the apps to remain open but was somehow fixed after I had a long telephone call. Now the Google App opens up on its own, closes apps whilst your using them, won't allow calls to hang up, vibrates on its own and drains the battery. I've performed two factory resets, wiped the cache partition, restricted Googe App permissions, returned it back to its factory setting and reformatted my SD card and still the issue remains. Two vodafone stores have looked at it and neither can identify the issue albeit they both have stated its a update issue.

Neither provide loan phones and its taken a referral to the Director's Office just to use of a phone whilst my Ultra 6 is being repaired, if it can be repaired. Didn't Vodafone carryout proper testing before launching this new update?

7 REPLIES 7

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member
Was your update lollipop to marshmallow or marshmallow to nougat
From what I've read Vodafone was one of the last to update usually due too making sure the updates function properly on illegible devices

Skyman, having looked at your comment, I am minded that you maybe getting confused with the make of phone to which I am referring to. The latest firmware update for the Smart Ultra 6 which I have is Marshmallow and its unlikely that Vodafone will every update it to Nougat. Maybe your thinking about a Samsung phone.

In regards to the testing, it seems clearly evident from looking at the other posts here that Mashmallow update for the Smart Ultra 6 is problematical.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @uk3g

Sometimes removing the Sd Card and then reboot the phone by turning it off and on can help as a process of elimination. 

I've read that it can be the Sd Card that can cause issues especially if a factory reset has been left in the phone when performing a factory reset. 

When an android firmware is released its first sent to the network for testing, signed off by the Network and then pushed out. 

Unfortunately new firmware can have an negative impact on the phone which a factory reset usually resolves. Appreciate that's not the case for you. 

Loan phones / courtesy phones are usually available to customers on eligible contracts and if ones available. 

Please let us know how you get on. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your response.

Before doing a factory reset I did removed the SD Card and Sim card because I know the these can leave potential elements of the old system on them. Strangely enough the problem was still evident once the phone was turned back on without the SD Card and SIM card in.

Hopefully the phone can be repaired but if not, I am expecting Vodafone to send me one properly upgrade and working.

UPDATE

I as mentioned prior I posted the device for repair on Tuesday and on Wednesday evening, I checked on line to ascertain whether it had been received and the progress is any of the repair. The job reference they provided was not recognised by the system but at least i had a certificate of posting confirming receipt. On Thursday, I tried the repair tracker system again and still the job reference wasn't recognised, so I called Tech support and they confirmed, after checking their system, that the phone was waiting to be repaired. Whilst on the phone I received an email confirming that the phone had been repaired / tested and would be dispatched 48 hour tracked. Excellent I thought was speedily repair!

Friday morning I received a similar email so all was looking good. Saturday morning the phone arrived via royal mail. Opening the package, I read the letter which accompanied the device which stated "Thanks for popping into our stoe to pick up your phone"  I hadn't of course ! The " Just to confirm, one of our engineers fixed your phone - so it should work perfectly now. We also gave it a full service, including a software upgrade"  Then " We find that many phones returned for repair could have been fixed by upgrading the software or by closing down apps which sometimes remain running in the background. So make sure you always have the latest software on your phone and try closing down apps which you're not using"  How patronising is that, since the reason for sending the phone for repair was the software upgrade to Marshmallow.

Anyway, when I looked at the phone itself, it became evident that they have returned the software back to the original lollipop not even the with any updates. Furthermore, once I connected it to the Internet, the auto update popped up letting me know that of course there was a software update, namely Marshmallow!

Totally and utterly hopeless. They don't even practice what they preach. 

I contacted Tech support only to be told that I had to take the phone back to the shop were I booked it in for repair (even though I made it clear to him that it was done via the post) or because I had purchased the phone before my contract, they could cancel my contract and give me a contract with a phone with no early terminating fees but my current monthly fee of £17.50 would increase. I said no on both fronts. He said his manager would contact me that day but never did. I phoned back at 4pm and asked why I had not received a call and was told a manager Adam would call me in an hour which they changed to 30 minutes. 1 hour and 15 minutes later - nothing. I called back to be told he would call me in an hour!! 

I ended up having to go above all their heads and called Customer Relations who immediately took control of the situation, order me a new Smart Ultra 7 as the 6 is no longer available. Happy ending but what a saga and a sad state of affairs for Vodafone.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for updating us @uk3g.

I'm sorry to hear of the experience that you've had, however I'm glad to hear that this has now been resolved for you.

If there's anything else we can help with in the future, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member
No problem it was just a suggestion😉