Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Transfer or backup and restore RCS (message+) messages

kenhanley
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I recently got a Samsung Galaxy S7 and transferred all my contacts call logs and messages from my old S4 using a USB cable, the adapter that came with the phone and the Smart Switch App on the phone. . When I checked, all the text messages that had were marked as Chat and not SMS were missing. I have since tried backup and restore to and from Samsung Cloud and Gmail. I have tried 'Super Backup', 'SMS Backup & Restore' and 'SMS Backup+' Apps and also transfer to and from PC using Smart Switch app on the PC. None of these handles the chat messages.

Can anyone suggest a method that I can use to transfer the chat messages.

Regards

Ken H

3 REPLIES 3

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @kenhanley :smileyhappy:

Is your enhanced messaging switched on?

To do this, please go follow these steps:

• From the home page, tap Apps
  • Go to Messages
  • Select More options, then Settings
  • Tap Enhanced messaging and switch this on 

Please let us know if this helps to bring your messages back.

HI,

Yes advanced messaging was on which I take it was why some of my texts went out as chat messages. I have now turned it off so that I don't lose any more messages. I ended up with large sections of only one half of the conversations losing all my outgoing texts.

I should have said that it is possible that advanced messaging was off on the S7 during some of my later attempts at transferring the chat texts. Looking at the backups on those apps that create XML files the chat messages are totally missing. I have managed to recover some of the more important messages by forwarding them as SMS messages from the original phone backing up with Super Backup and then modifying the date and time in the backup file and restoring from it but there are far too many to do the whole lot.