Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

UPDATING APPS

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

Hi guys 

I know if you install apps you have to keep them updated same goes with your device software and security 

But with apps that come pre-installed on your device that you have no use for and can not uninstall  in particular the 5 Microsoft apps word. Excel, one note one drive  power point  and Google's hang outs 

Up to this day I have kept everything up to date but my question is as  micro soft in the last 6 weeks have released numerous updates one was within a week and at minimum 65 mb and max was 93 when you times that by 5 and your other seemingly minor in comparison and a lot less often it does add up to a chunk of my mobile data 

That's not a problem if you have WiFi but as I'm pretty new to this town and many miles away from friends and family and the musicians I hang out with either don't have it or were upstairs in a empty warehouse jamming I have very limited use of WiFi maybe once every couple of months 

So my question is as I don't use the micro soft apps and also don't want to disable them  does not updating them leave your device more vulnerable than it would be than keeping them updated

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

I also disable those apps. 

Not updating them will not be detrimental to your phone but if you ever want to use those apps then they may need those pending updates completed for them to work at their optimum. 

I choose to update them personally. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

If you don't use an app, it's safe not to update it and, yes, you can also disable it.  I assume you have your Google Play settings set to update over wifi only?  That way, you can receive updates automatically without worrying about mobile data usage.

Edited to add: you can still manually update the ones you want to keep current.