Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to connet to London Underground wifi using VodafoneWifi

robhardy
2: Seeker

This used to work for me but has now stopped.

Following https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/internet/wi-fi/ - the page states

• Make sure you’ve got Wi-Fi switched on in your settings
  • When you go into a station with Wi-Fi coverage, you’ll connect automatically

Note, there's no username or password.

Using the VodafoneWifi network,  when I try and connect I get a PEAP authentication screen, which asks for a certificate and an identity. There is no captive portal to enter the Vodafone username/password. Also, the instructions on the page say connection is automatic.

The alternative way of connecting, using the Virgin Wifi network, then clicking the Vodafone icon, results in the browser hanging with a spinner.

I've contacted Vodafone 5 times about this. Their replies are either:

- enter your username and password (which is non-sensical as there is no prompt for it)

- or they reset the online password (which doesn't work)

- or they don't understand about the VodafoneWifi network not being BT and that connection should be automatic as explained on their website

Anyone else seen this? I have a feeling I'm meant to have a certificate installed which the phone automatically chooses, which I'm missing.  Or, there is some missing configuration for the wifi, but Vodafone are unable to explain what this is.

(I also can't use the BT Wifi, which may or may not be related).  My account is meant to include Wifi.

Can anyone get this to work?

35 REPLIES 35

Dear Sara H,

You sent me a private message that i need send a email about my issue... then i did... but i am still waiting to the proper answer to sort it out my problem...

once again ... i am writing to you my issue 

I am unable to connect to the wifi on the underground. I have been having the same problem as other users. I either get a message saying 'we're experiencing problems with our wifi service please try again.' or 'your connection is not private'.. I used to be able to log in and do not understand why this has recently started happening.

please help..

Will
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @illusing007

You should have recieved an automated email with a reference that looks like this [#12345678]. If you give us your reference, we'll be able to look into this for you.

Can you please share the details with me too? 

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Phlwht - If the information I’ve given further above hasn’t helped, then I’ve sent you a private message with how to send us your details. ☺️

Sincs1
Hi Sarah_L, please can you send me the private message with details of how your team can help me to resolve the London Tube wifi problem. I am getting the "Sorry we are experiencing problems with WIFI service" error message too when trying to login. Thanks

illusing007

Dear Sarah,

I have been struggling with the same problem...i have done so many thing to solve the problem... but still not working

can you send me a private message please!!

many thanks

jin xx

RussellW
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I'm having a similar problem. I changed the email address associated with my MyVodafone account at the weekend, and now get an "SSL Certificate not trusted" message when I reach the screen to sign in to the Virgin Media WiFi service on the Underground. I also get the "hanging spinner", and am not redirected to the login page.

I am loathed to contact Vodafone tech support, as it took five months for them to assist me with being able to log in last time (they had to bodge it by changing my username/email address to a capitalised version of the email address I was using at the time).

Sarah - could you help?

Edit: I tried again last night, and by selecting the option to "Keep Connection" in the top right hand corner of the screen, I was able to proceed to the login page. When I got there, and entered my username and password, I got the "Unable to connect" message.

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@RussellW Sorry for the delay in reaching your post. 

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Thanks Rahim - much appreciated. I eventually contacted the customer service team and a password reset/capitalisation of my username got me connected again.

It seems bizarre that the only way for me to access the LU wifi service is for Vodafone tech support to perform a password reset, and to change my username (albeit only to capitalise my email address). That was the "fix" last time around too.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@RussellW - Thanks for letting us know this is fixed now.

Feel free to get in touch anytime if we can help with anything else. :Smiling: