Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to send emails when on network

garypcook
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I am having difficulties in sending emails from my mobile when on the network - but receives emails okay and it works fine when I'm on wifi (for
both receive and send).

I've read my ISP / webhosts guidance notes and am confident I've sent up the email app correctly but whenever I try to send an email on the network I get a failed to send error, and if I check the settings get a
"server does not accept authentication" error.

Can you help?

I'm using a Samsung S5 mini (Android) phone, on Vodafone.

My email is IMAP
My settings are :-

SMTP server : mail.abc123.co.uk   (where abc123 is my website, and confirmed this is correct with the ISP / webhost)
Security type : None
Port : 587
Require Sign In : ticked
Username : email(at)abc123.co.uk
Password : same as my mailbox password

My ISP / webhost tells me that these are correct and that they accept authentication so I suspect it's something to do with Vodafone. As I said it works fine when on wifi but not on the network. These settings also work fine on my pc.

Many thanks,

Gary Cook

6 REPLIES 6

hrym
17: Community Champion

Oh gosh, SMTP settings are a swine to troubleshoot!   It's not uncommon for network-provided services to work only via a connection through them.  If the mail service isn't attached to a network (eg BT), then that's not going to be the issue.   The message you're getting looks pretty conclusive, but failures sometimes trigger the wrong one.  In the first instance, I'd try different security settings, SLS/TLS being the most common.  Different mail programs have different ways of laying the settings out, but what needs to happen is that you sign in before attempting to send (sometimes shown as "requires authentication").   It sounds as though this is what's happening, but check all the available settings.

What happens over wifi - both at home and out and about?   It's unlikely to be a Vodafone thing, simply because the network will just be transmitting the request to the mail server, but the app may be mis-reporting the issue.

If all else fails, it may be possible to use the Gmail server, but that'll result in your messages being sent as Gmail.   In that case, it's easier to shift the whole thing over to that platform and use the Gmail app.  You can still use abc123 as the underlying service, though and someone here can talk you through that if it proves to be necessary.

Hi,

I have tried all the available security settings with no success - None, SSL, SSL (Accept all certificates), TLS, TLS (Accept all certificates).

They all result in the error "Server does not accept authentication" except SSL which results in "Cannot safely connect to server".

The webhost / ISP state that SSL / TLS should not be used.

Gary

hrym

Hmmm.  In that case (and re-reading your original post I see it work OK on wifi), it sounds as though the server is blocking the mobile network for some reason.  Unless, that is, the connection is too slow - what signal do you have 2, 3 or 4G?

If you could say what the mail service is, I could have a dig round.

Hi,

My webhost / service provider is HeartInternet

I'm having problems with 2g 3g and 4g

I've just received a further email from HeartInternet suggesting that my phone IP from Vodafone is likely to be blacklisted - see copy of their email below. Is this likely to be the case?

The issue with being unable to send when connected to your 3G network is a strong indicator that you have been given a blacklisted IP address.

We would need the IP address of your device when connected to your mobile carrier, but typically you will see:

2016-03-16 06:44:05 H=[xx.xx.xx.xx] rejected connection in "connect" ACL: Your IP address is on the SBL blacklist! Sending denied.

this is why you can receive email, but not send from our servers, and why it works fine when you are at home/office on the wifi.

Moving forwards with this, you will need to request a clean IP from your mobile carrier, or request a delisting of your IPaddress.

Thanks,

Gary 

hrym

I have heard of IP addresses getting blacklisted and this is usually done by one of the central services such as Spamhaus.   It can be done incorrectly.  The other possibility is that your service provider is whitelisting (that's to say, blocking anything that isn't specifically reported as OK, which is more stringent).   This hasn't arisen for some time, not least because Vodafone no longer have an SMTP server and therefore can't be hacked as a relay for spam.

As I suggested, the solution might be to move everything to Google.   You can set this up (on the website, not via the mobile app) to pick up messages form another service and then to reply (and even send new messages) as from that service (or anything else you choose).   That way, you can manage your email via the Google app, which requires no setting up, but the address is transparent to the recipient, who will still see the one they're familar with.

It's possible you can force the device to ask for a new IP address and turning mobile data off for 24 hours might do this.

I'm having the same issue (also with Heart Internet for my email) - did you solve this?