Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to send/receive pictures or access data services

WendyM
2: Seeker

Hi there,

For some time now I have been unable to send or receive picture messages using my Galaxy S2. Also, I have now noticed that I cannot use any data services when away from my Wi-Fi connection. I used to be able to use these services fine, but this is frustrating me now as I feel as I am not getting value for money from my contract. My husband is also on Vodafone and doesn't have any problems.

Thanks,

Wendy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drey_p
16: Advanced member

I'm gonna ask a really silly question here - you do have mobile data switched on?  If so, it could be that there is some issue at network level that is preventing MMS being sent from your handset.

PWIAC

View solution in original position

16 REPLIES 16

drey_p

Hi there

It sounds like data and MMS services haven't been set up on your phone.  Please text the word WEB to 40127 and that should send a configuration message to your handset that you can install that should give you the correct settings.  Let us know how you get on!

PWIAC

Hi, I have tried that previously but have tried it again tonight following your suggestion but still no joy. If anyone sends me a picture message it just sits in my inbox with the message details and 'Downloading'. It will stay like this forever more until I delete the message.

drey_p

Hi there

Could you manually check to see if you have the correct settings on your handset.  I am guessing you are on Pay Monthly, if so the settings are below:

Pay monthly / Business
APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk
Username: wap
Password: wap

There is a good step by step guide on how to change the settings in this link, all you will need to do is click on the Set up your phone for internet link.

PWIAC

Thanks, checked this and all the settings are as you state.

drey_p

What happens if you try to send yourself a Picture Message?  Do you get any error messages?

PWIAC

WendyM
It says 'Currently unable to send message.Will try again once service becomes available.'

drey_p

I'm gonna ask a really silly question here - you do have mobile data switched on?  If so, it could be that there is some issue at network level that is preventing MMS being sent from your handset.

PWIAC

Wasn't a silly question at all -once I found where to find this setting ( and it was hidden away a bit ) it was deactivated.
Activated it now and picture messages are now working. Thanks for help - can't believe it was so obvious, but this setting is not where I would have expected it to be!

drey_p

Brilliant!  I am pleased that your problem is now fixed! Thank you very much for letting us know.  One thing to bear in mind is that, with Mobile Data on, your phone will use data in the background.  If you don't have mobile data as part of your tariff you may wish to turn it back off in order to avoid running up data charges!

If you need any future assistance, you know where to come! :smileyhappy:

PWIAC