Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unexplained Data Use

archie00
3: Seeker

Hi i am wondering if any of you guys have came across this before as I am at a loss to explain it. On Thursday morning I went onto the laptop using my android mobile as a hotspot for a matter of 15mins to check email and do a upload of a small file to a online application. Later on at lunchtime at a friend's house I went on to the laptop again and used the mobile hotspot for a matter of minutes, I then received a text from vodafone telling me I was nearly over my data limit then another text to say I was over the limit and received two charges of £6.50. When I checked my itemised data usage on the vodafone website it informed me I had used nearly 3gig of data in total on three occasions, the morning and afternoon. I am confused why this has happened as I only used the hotspot about 20 mins in total. I phoned vodafone regarding this and they could not explained it and gave me a free 2gig. My concern is where did the 3 gig of data disappear to as I did not use this much, less than 200 mb would of been my usage in total I reckon. Does anybody have any ideas? i was thinking my hotspot was hacked but then thought that was unlikely as i was in two different locations that day when I accrued the high data usage, my only other explanation is malware/virus???

23 REPLIES 23

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Sometimes the update on some laptops etc as for permissions to update and some happen silently in the background m 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

archie00
Guys, just checking my outgoing data traffic whilst using tethering on the thursday, it amounted to 23 minutes outgoing and 59 secs incoming, is this verification of a trojan?

BandOfBrothers

Have you found anything by a Security sweep ?

We wouldn't personally be able to verify anything.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

As a novice in these things, i noticed the trial period of mcafree ended Wednesday i tethered on Thursday, i wonder if i have allowed somerthing into the laptop though i thought the mcafee app on the mobile would ensure security, maybe not! The outgoing data traffic was over 20 mins(duration of internet use on 2 occasions) and incoming less than a minute which would be consistent with the two sites i logged into on the Thursday. The information on my laptop may of been compromised resulting in the high data use as it was being tranferred out...it seems logical????  I will buy a years subscription of mcafee for the laptop.. big learning curve