Solution

Using Bluetooth headset withy smart ultra 6

Adamchrissy
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Does the Vodafone smart ultra 6 have voice recognition 

so when it is paired with a Bluetooth headset you can press the 

activation/action button on the Bluetooth headset and the 

voice regonition software on the handset starts and you can say a contact name to call?

If this or a simialr function is available how can I set it up on the phone? I have paired the headset sucessfully to the phone but it is not automatically activating any voice regonition software when pressing the headsets main button as it did with my previous phone.

If the phone does not have this function is there an app I can download to perform this?

Thanks! 

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

The User Manual here only explains the basics about Bluetooth. 

May i ask have you checked if theirs a dedicated forum or support site for the Headset to which you could search or leave a post there.

A Google search may return some hits.  

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I have the same issue - my bluetooth headset worked fine with my Sony Xperia Z3c, pressing the action button allowed me to voice dial. However with the Smart Ultra 6 the phone just ignores the action. All I can do is redial the last called number. Awkward, as I often need to call my wife when I'm going to and from work on my motorcycle.

Some Bluetooth headsets, e.g, Plantronics Voyager Legend, have an extra button which, Plantronics have told me, will start the "OK Google" app. However, they agree that this is difficult, or impossible to use, offline, unless the phone laguage is set to English (US). My thread re offline hands-free use might be helpful: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-manufacturers-OS/Vodafone-Smart-Ultra-6-offline-hands-free-dial...

jefmcg
4: Newbie

I've just bought a BT headset (plantronics M70) and I can't get the Ultra 6  to respond to the voice dialing command.  A 2 second press of the call button on the headset should activate voice dialling on the phone.   I've tested this with another phone, and voice dialling works.  The headset also works fine for voice commands on the Vodafone if I start the command from the screen (long press of the home button).   All the other functions of the headset seem to work fine. However, when paired with the vodafone, the long press of the voice dialling button does nothing.

Is there a configuration I am missing?  @TimCo158, what did you do to get the button to work.

(The voice command software I use, Utter, needs an internet connection so I am ok if I can only use it when I've got a data connection)

hrym

Android devices seem to use OK Google as standard now and there have been some reports of issues getting this to work with a BT headset.   Some suggestions have been:

Put the Google search widget on a homepage

Use the Google launcher, which responds to the prompt from any screen

There also seem to have been issues with Google search not working offline, or with it only responding to US English on some installations.  I've also played around with (though not used in anger) Indigo Personal Assistant and found it pretty impressive.  It can send a Tweet, for instance, which Google can't (or couldn't when I tried it)

Thanks for the responses.  

I'm not looking to make the spoken command "OK Google" work.  If I put in the wired head set that came with the phone, and press and hold the button on it, the assistant voice (Utter) speaks in my ear and I can issue a voice command.  The BT headset I have works in this way with an old Xperia phone, but does a long press does nothing with the Ultra 6.   

hrym

What version of Android is the old Xperia running?  That would potentially make a differece.

My old Z3Compact was runnning 5.1.1 and worked fine for voice dialing - my SU6 is also on 5.1.1.

My work Samsung S4 is on 5.0.1 and that also works fine with my BT headset.

hrym

@gsingleton wrote:

My old Z3Compact was runnning 5.1.1

So not that then.   I was just wondering whether it pre-dated Google Now, but it doesn't.