Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Online Upgrade Issue

dlorde
7: Helper
7: Helper

Just a quich heads-up for Vodafone on an annoying upgrade issue when upgrading via the web site.

I just upgraded online from a HTC One S to a HTC One Mini 2. The online upgrade went through without a hitch, and I soon got the 'ready for delivery' email - which said:

If you're an existing customer and your new device needs a different type of SIM, you'll get one with your order. 

The phone arrived a couple of days later, but without a new SIM (the OneS takes a micro-SIM, the One Mini 2 takes a nano-SIM). I had to ring the helpline and get a nanoSIM sent out. These are sent through the post, so take at least a couple of days to arrive.

All this means that, despite Vodafone's promise of automatically supplying new SIMs where necessary, there is at least two days after receiving the phone where it is not usable for its primary function.

Can you assure me that the trial period starts when the new SIM first connects to the Vodafone network, so I have the full trial period to evaluate it for calls and texts?

5 REPLIES 5

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi dlorde,

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry that the new SIM wasn't included with your phone.

The cooling off period of 14 days applies when you receive the new phone.

I trust that now you've got the SIM that you're able to fully test the functionality of the phone.

Thanks.

Ian

"The cooling off period of 14 days applies when you receive the new phone."

This is partly my point - the device I received wasn't strictly a complete phone until the correct SIM was supplied so it was usable. So one could argue that I didn't have the phone I contracted for until the SIM arrived and the call functionality was enabled. 

It's just a hypothetical for now - my phone is working OK at present, but I thought VF ought to be aware of the possibility - if only to encourage them to sort out the problem with issuing new SIMS where appropriate..

Where would you be without Vodafone and their cut and paste answers that don't really answer your questions?

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@bingefeller wrote:

Where would you be without Vodafone and their cut and paste answers that don't really answer your questions?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.   The answer given was an apology for the omission, which is about all that can be done in the circumstances.

Personally, I'd be in favour of an additional question in the upgrade process which asks what SIM you currently have and checks against the new device.   This would mean the database being correct, though.  In the SIM only section, the website was recently showing the One as taking a micro SIM.

@hrym wrote:

The answer given was an apology for the omission, which is about all that can be done in the circumstances.

Personally, I'd be in favour of an additional question in the upgrade process which asks what SIM you currently have and checks against the new device.   This would mean the database being correct, though.  In the SIM only section, the website was recently showing the One as taking a micro SIM.

In the circumstances, what could be done would be to, as you suggest, check the SIM during the upgrade process, ensure that the database is corrected and that controls are in place to ensure future entries are also correct (what good is a database if the data isn't correct?). 

I'm certainly happy to accept the apology; I just hope that feedback on a faulty process will be acted on, so future upgrades don't have the same problem :Smiling: