cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Smart Speed 6 - unable to disable message+ and how to stop any data being used

sc9999
2: Seeker

Everytime I disable Vodafone message+, when I next turn on the phone and switch on wifi I get the message that message+ has 'successfully updated', and it is an active app again - I cannot seem to get rid of it and it seems to use the most data.

I only want the data allowance used when I am internet browsing; I don't want the phone downloading anything or using the data allowance in any way. How do I set it up to use it in this way?

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

In the settings of the phone will be Mobile Data. 

If you toggle this this to the Off position your phone will not connect to data services. 

This would however also stop other things in the phone like apps that need data to update or poll information to update. 

These links may help. 

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Internet/Vodafone-apps/Vodafone-Message-/38912520/How-can-I-remove-th...

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Internet/Vodafone-apps/Vodafone-Call/63659279/How-do-I-turn-off-Messa...

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Nabs

@sc9999

Have a try of this:

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Internet/Vodafone-apps/Vodafone-Call/63659279/How-do-I-turn-off-Messa...

If that alone doesn't work then try the above + install a new messagina app from the play store e.g. Google Messenger as this may help force it.

If that still doesn't work, try the above 2 things + have a look through the system apps for anything related to "Message+", "RCS" or "Rich Communications Suite" and disable it.

As a last resort I hear a large hammer tends to fix these sort of things :smileylol:

sc9999

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried disabling message+ (there doesn't seem to be an option to delete it) and made 'Messaging' my default messaging app, but this hasn't stopped the problem.

I've updated my phone so that background data is restricted. Am I right in thinking that this will mean none of the apps, including message+, will be able to download anything when I'm using mobile data, only when I'm using wifi? This will at least mean my mobile data allowance won't be used out of my control.

The hammer idea is looking quite appealing as well :Smiling:

Nabs

@sc9999 was 'messaging' the app preinstalled on the phone? If so Message+ is probably integrated and it will try to re-enable it every time you open the app. The only way around this, as far as I know, is to install a 3rd party SMS app from the play store (as linked in previous post :-))

Having to turn off background data is extremely annoying and shouldn't have to be done, what's the point in having a smartphone that you can only use at home on WiFi...