Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 update bug battery drain

Jpf198
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Following the recent software update every time my phone losses signal the phone seems to go overactive looking for new transmitter and gets hot and drains battery in an hour or so if I don't move and find signal.

Prior to update it was fine.... Could you look in to urgently and issue a fix as phone is now useless, or tell me how to roll back to old firmware.

Thanks

John

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hello @Jpf198

Have you downloaded any apps recently that could be causing this. 

When a software update is processed it can occasionally take a phone to index and settle. 

After a software update if the phone is glitching then it's suggested to back up and Factory Reset. Remove any Sd Card. 

I maybe wrong rbut I do not think you can rollback the firmware. Places like Xda Developers forum may hold further information. Anything you decide to implement in regards to changing your firmware is at your own discretion. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I haven't added any apps, and it only happens when it is out of signal...

But I'll give the forum a couple of days see if anyone else has any other ideas and then I'll try a factory reset.

Thanks

hrym

There have been some reports of issues with the Vodafone-branded Nougat update on the LG G5, but I haven't seen anything relating to the Ultra 6.  Is this Nougat or an intermediate update?   Large (platform) updates can cause issues and a factory reset usually sorts them.   Battery drain when out of signal is normal, but this is clearly more than you're used to.

Before doing a major update, I normally close all running apps and restart the phone, just to have as few background processes as possible and give it as many of its resources for the job as possible.

I know it's a pain, but I'd be inclined to go for a reset now, rather than wait.   Don't forget to back up your content and remove any sd card as the process sometimes formats them.

It was an intermediate update it is still on 5.1.1 and went to "security patch level 2016-05-01" from something a lot older....

hrym

Generally I wouldn't expct that to cause problems, but odd things happen.   I presume you've tried simply restarting the phone?

Patbroadbent
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
I'm getting the same thing, if it is hunting for network flat in 20 mins. If it's in reception no probs or if it's totally out of reception no probs. In and out of cell tower reception flat reboot, round and round in loop till dies. This is a real problem. It started after update.

hrym

@PatbroadbentHave you tried a factory reset?   It would be part of any repair process so you won't have lost anything by doing it yourself.   Don't forget to back up your content first.   And we need someone to do this just to check whether it fixes the issue.

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Jpf198 @Patbroadbent

Sorry to hear you're having these issues since updating the software on your phones.

As you're both experiencing the same issue, please pop into your local Vodafone store so we can take a look.