cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone smart ultra 6 does not find signal (wifi is working)

Marquitos
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I have a vodafone smart ultra 6 which started failing within a year after I bought it; at that time I could not get signal and the phone kept indicating that it was in airplane mode. I brought it to vodafone shop; they changed some setting and was working again. Now a three months later the same problem; I brought it to vodafone shop and they tell me that the phone needs resetting and that the mobile is outside warranty (is one year and two months old). They told me to reset the mobile by myself and if it does not work then I will have to buy a new phone. The vodafone website indicates 2 years warranty but the person in the shop say that because I bought it online it only has 1 year warranty; Does anybody knows the truth about this. Thanks.

24 REPLIES 24

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion

@Marquitos

Do you have a receipt or anything with the date of purchase on it, (such as credit card statement)?

What date did you buy the phone? what contract are you on or is it payg?

It does seem as though this "John" has side swiped what you we're saying and put the repair through as an out of warranty repair...?

I will make some inquiries how best to deal with this if you are charged?

Let's hope it comes back repaired without a charge. 😊

TSD.

63johnw
Hi. The only way they should try and charge is if there is any physical damage to the phone, eg cracked screen, scratches on the frame etc, this can negate the warranty but if there is no damage there should be no charge.

Now that I have read the repair contract I signed I realized I should have paid more attention in store and read everything. "John" put the condition of the phone as "fair" which to my mind now that I think of it this should be lower than "good", he indicated that the mobile has small scratches on the screen which is funny as the mobile phone has a screen plastic cover on it since I bought it and I have kept the back plastic as I keep the mobile inside a folding cover. The only scratches on this mobile are next to the charger outlet and on the shinny frame around the screen. I feel like when renting a car in a doggy place where after returning the car the owner will start walking around in the hope they find a new scratch on it and charge your for fixing it.

thesoupdragon

Let's see what happens when you get notification the phone is back?

I am looking into the best course of action if things go wrong?

Do you have a date of when you first got the phone?

TSD

Hello @Marquitos

I understand your worry at this situation.

A precaution you can take if you're concerned is to take pictures of the handset before you send it. Also, if your handset is out of warranty due to any damage etc you will always be called to check if you want to go ahead with the repair. 

Please let us know over the forum what happens after the repair is complete. 

Louise

@thesoupdragon 

I got this phone on the 5th of August 2015.

@Luise_E

I actually took pictures although they are not that good as to tell if the phone has or not scratches

Well for now I will just have to wait.

I got my phone back which is working now and didn't have to pay for fixing it. I got my original phone although they removed my screen cover but the problem I had with the screen was not fixed (I have some grey shadow at the bottom of the screen that is still there, see the attached photo) this is only visible with the screen off or under sunlight Anybody has idea of what is this?

I also noticed that the phone had been opened and I have a new imei number. I have tried unlocking in three websites but all gave me the answer that they could not find my imei number in the database?? I got the suggestion of  trying next month as it may be that the database has not been updated with the imei number or vodafone is not willing to release unlock code for the imei yet; Does vodafone normally do this?

hrym

It's a little difficult to see from that photo due to the reflection, but the screen wouldn't have been replaced if you didn't mention it as an issue when the phone went in (did you?).

I would have thought that the database update would be the most likely reason for the IMEI not being found.   The new IMEI suggests that you have a new main circuit board I think.   You could also try asking Vodafone for an unlock code.   I believe there may be some restrictions (not sure as I've never done it) and it could be that a new IMEI registers itself as a new device and may therefore be covered by any time limits unless someone over-rides them.

Hello @Marquitos

Thank you for providing an update on this. 

I am going to send you a Private Message with further help on this. 

Louise

Got a call from Vodafone and an email later on;

"I would request you to visit the same store from where you have arranged the postal repair. They will be able to assist you with the repair of the handset and with the changed IMEI of the handset"

It looks like in order to solve my problems I need to go to the last place I would like to go; vodafone shop at Bury St Edmunds (too much stress).

I thought my questions should be easy to answer by the technical department of Vodafone.