Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Warranty Voided due to minor damage.

Deanuz
3: Seeker

Hi, I'm contacting the forums today in regards to issues i've been having with my "LG G5"

The phone has several issues which are common in the device that needed addressing;

Reboot loop (Keeps restarting)

LCD Screen Bleeding

Battery dies @15%

I took the advice of vodaphone and the shop staff to get it sent off for repair, the device has minor cosmetic scratches on it but was deemed by the vodaphone store employee to be in overall good condition. I pointed out a crack on the glass because of the way the phone sits when on its back it rests on the glass (Joking about the poor design floor) He then when unplugging it from the charger dropped it (Unrelated) but could have caused further damage.

The phone finally arrived at the repair center today them telling me the phone is out of warranty and will cost £144.00 to repair, Shocked by this i obviously countered it with its a 2 year warranty I have only had it 11 months. They said there was a crack on the glass linked to the camera lens and that it had voided my warranty. I spent 4 hours on the phone to no resolve, my warranty linked to my IMEI is now voided, I'm devestated because the phone has so many manufacture linked problems with it to get them repaired myself will cost a fortune (Because the G5 is terrible) the glass on the camera lens costs £1.00 and peels off and is held on by glue. They said my warranty is voided, but the issues i'm having (Proved by others having the same issues) is manufacture related nothing to do with a cracked glass lens.

Is there nothing I can do? Is my warranty voided? Can LG help me? Can I replace the glass and send it back off? I feel so terribly that something put in place to protect my consumer rights can so easily be revoked. It was my understanding that warrantys protect manufacturing faults not caused by every day use, how can i prove to vodafone the issue existed before the cracked camera glass. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Deanuz

If the Vodafone Repair Centre have not yet started on the repair, ask for the phone to be returned.

It is always better to go direct to the manufacturer for any repair.  They will be in a position to repair a device under warranty where a third party repairer has been unable to proceed when there are signs of other damage.

If you to to LG you could well find the other faults on the phone are repaired including the camera lens.

If you use Google, you will find how to contact LG and the repairs process.

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

AnnS

Hi @Deanuz

If the Vodafone Repair Centre have not yet started on the repair, ask for the phone to be returned.

It is always better to go direct to the manufacturer for any repair.  They will be in a position to repair a device under warranty where a third party repairer has been unable to proceed when there are signs of other damage.

If you to to LG you could well find the other faults on the phone are repaired including the camera lens.

If you use Google, you will find how to contact LG and the repairs process.

BandOfBrothers

Hello @Deanuz

The Repair Centres and Lg see things pretty much as black and white. 

i.e if they see a damaged  / cracked screen they'll most likely attach that to damage caused by a drop which not only can damage the display but also cause issues inside the phone. 

They will also take into consideration that if the phone needs to be opened up for investigation and or diagnostic then the damage to the screen / display could hinder this and cause the crack to spread. 

I'd certainly advise to speak with Lg as they'll have possibly more scope to help if they will after advising them of the current damage, but take into account that the Manufacturing Warranty is provided by the seller i.e. Vodafone if they supplied it. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Deanuz

I've sent you a private message on how to contact us.

Once you've followed the link, we'll contact you.

hrym

Just to clarify: none of the manufacturers allow 3rd party repairers (of whom Vodafone is one) to carry out warranty work if there is any evidence of damage.   In that case, go direct.  Manufacturers allow themselves more leeway and will usually take a pragmatic view and do the work if the damage is clearely unrelated to the problem.

Deanuz

So thanks for the tips, LG have agreed to repair the scratches at a far reduced price and will re-instate my warranty once the repair has been completed.

Definetly best place to go is the manufacturer.

hrym

That's excellent news.  Glad you're sorted.