Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wifi Calling gone in 7.0 S7?

dj9928
4: Newbie

So I am running the beta 7.0 for S7, the Wifi calling option has vanished.  Now you may say it hasn't been added yet as its beta but the option is confirmed to be there for EE and 3 sim cards. Vodafone nothing.

84 REPLIES 84

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

I think it maybe the reason you highlight. 

Vodafone hold firmware to test to ensure it does not clash with the features of their network for branded phones. 

Have you an unbranded s7 ?

I have an unbranded s7 edge and have not been able to see yet any beta version. 

Or have you rooted ?

I personally prefer not to use beta version of firmwares especially on my daily driver as bugs can and will exist. 

Your options as I see it are to rollback to Marshmallow or wait until that firmware has been properly released and Vodafone have adjusted. 

I can't speak for other networks. It maybe the feature is somehow written differently so works. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Yes unranded BTU phone from CarphoneWarehouse.  I signed up for the beta program earlier in the week and got the update yesterday.

BandOfBrothers

Hi

I remember reading about the beta programme but some were having issues completing signing up for it. 

It's great your an early adopter but unfortunately that does come hand in hand with bugs and features working or not working 100%

Current Phone  >

jeffkinn

Although some here have said they have Wi Fi calling working on unbanded phones, Vodafone still says that it is or should be restricted to Vodafone supplied and branded phones only.

That's probably the reason you aren't seeing it.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers

Hi @dj9928

I now see from other forums that there was a timeframe to be able to register for the beta programme from Samsung which also downloaded an app to send bug reports off to. 

Perhaps use the bug reporter to let Samsung know what's happening after your upgrade from Marshmallow to Nougat. 

On a side note I'm reading good updates from early adopters. Many saying it's making the Samsung Galaxy s7 and s7 edge have more of a look and feel akin to the recalled Note 7.

Interesting times ahead. 

Current Phone  >

dj9928
4: Newbie
It's not good news for unlocked handsets that could use wi-fi calling previously. WiFi calling no longer works for Vodafone SIM cards. Put an EE SIM card in and the WiFi calling reappears so it is SIM card dependant.

BandOfBrothers

I understand and sympathise with this. 

I can't really understand why you had access to the feature previously as it's mentioned in the Vodafone Guidance Notes that's its only available to people who have sourced the handset from Vodafone directly.

Vodafone Calling over wifi link.  

"To take advantage of Wi-Fi Calling, you need:

A Pay monthly Red or Red Value Bundle, Red+ or Business Premier*

A compatible device:

A Samsung Galaxy A5 (2016), S6, S6 edge, S7 or S7 edge bought directly from Vodafone at one of our stores, online or by phone through our customer services team"

How-do-I-set-up-Wi-Fi-Calling-on-a-Samsung-Galaxy-A5-2016-S6-or-S6-edge-S7-or-S7-edge Link.

Current Phone  >

It's very strange because on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow we had access to WiFi Calling without Vodafone Brand. I had also BTU Marshmallow on my S7 Edge and that was working perfectly. 
Is discrimination. That is my choice what phone i'm using - network should be happy that i'm paying my bills on time and let me use everything what i'm paying for. 
Now i have unbranded BTU Android 7.0 Nougat on my band new S7 Edge Blue Coral and i can not use my WiFi Calling what is included to my contract. Shame on you Vodafone.

I just flashed BTU 6.0.1 and i have WiFi Calling.... Why this is not added to 7.0 and i have to wait and use Vodafone Branded software for this option?!