You are here:

Android

Ask a question:
Topics: 204
Solutions: 623

Re: Wifi Calling gone in 7.0 S7?

iPhone users will not get the same treatment as Apple doesn't allow any network to apply branding to iOS. Every iPhone has the same software on it anywhere in the world.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 41 of 71 (2,411 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster

So why non iPhone users are treated worst? 

Message 42 of 71 (2,410 Views)

Android is an open source product and not proprietary - no one owns the software and each manufacturer and network can customise the software as they see fit. That means that Vodafone can apply their branding and their rules.

iOS is developed and owned by Apple and they control it from cradle to grave. Also Apple is more powerful than any network and, given that it is the market leading smartphone, networks have to sell it.

Life is all about choices and the choices here are buy an iPhone, a Vodafone branded Android phone or an Android phone from an independent retailer without Wi Fi calling.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 43 of 71 (2,400 Views)

[ Edited ]

No mate. When i bought my phone WiFi calling was working on Android 6.0.1. I was in store to ask if it will work and i've been told that will work perfect on non branded phone - that was by store manager - and now i'm updated to new software and my feature does not working as it was. 
So what i should do now? Go and ask store manager to pay part of my bill as he make mistake? Or maybe i should sell my phone and buy directly from vodafone? 
As i said before. Put a EE or three sim card to phone with Android 7  and WiFi Calling will work on unbranded phone. If it will be still working at end of my contract i will leave Vodafone. 
I also had many other problems. I was fighting with advisors for over 8 months to get one of my contracts counted correctly. I've few times a month on chat or phone and spend minimum 2 hours each time to explain what is wrong and after promise by advisor everything was same like before my call. Really poor customer service for me, taking out some features for customers who not bought phone directly from network where prices are crazy. What next? Cutting off 4G for non branded phones? 
This network was best on market for me till september last year. 
Now is only one thing - leave it. 

Message 44 of 71 (2,391 Views)

The store manager was wrong. Wi Fi calling has never officially worked on non branded phones right from the very beginning. If it worked it's because there was a software loophole that allowed it to work and that loophole has now been closed.

See this article from 2015

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/135274-vodafone-wi-fi-calling-service-is-now-live-but-there-s-a-catc...

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 45 of 71 (2,385 Views)

So Vodafone should train their staff corectly. 
Now in places where i am and have no network signal but i have wifi i can not make or receive calls becouse some moron was wrong. 

Message 46 of 71 (2,379 Views)
Topics: 0
Solutions: 1

@sonic1 @dj9928 @iMoCks

Thanks for making us aware of these issues.

To take advantage of Wi-Fi Calling, you need:

• A Pay monthly Red or Red Value Bundle, Red+ or Business Premier*

• A compatible device:
    • iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus or iPhone SE
    • A Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016 and 2017), A5 (2016 and 2017), S6, S6 edge, S7 or S7 edge bought directly from Vodafone at one of our stores, online or by phone through our customer services team.

Message 47 of 71 (2,373 Views)

Like i said. We - non iPhone users - are treated by network worst than iPhone users. 
That is not fair. 

Message 48 of 71 (2,367 Views)
Rank 1: Guest

It's dissapointing that Vodafone have made this decision and it can only harm them, nothing positive will come of it after people start using search engines to find the answer and conclusion we have come to in this thread.

Thanks for the clarification.

Message 49 of 71 (2,357 Views)
Topics: 0
Solutions: 1

@sonic1

We're sorry to dissapoint you.

Thanks again, for your query.

If there's anything we can do for you in the future, please let us know.

Message 50 of 71 (2,350 Views)

It's been the same way for two years since wifi calling started. Customer sentiment hasn't made them re-think the policy yet.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 51 of 71 (2,340 Views)

It might be useful if Vodafone did not send out a text message offering the service to non branded phones.

Hopefully we could replace sentiment with common sense..

Message 52 of 71 (2,316 Views)

I have an s7 edge which needs to be connected to wifi for calls when I am at home as I have NO signal here - even though the vodafone map shows otherwise. So upgrading the phone software this week has rendered the (vodafone provided) phone useless. 

Nougat is a waste of time to upgrade to - GPS issues (well documented on forums) & now this. Shame as it's been a really good phone up until now.

Factory resetting the phone didn't remove nougat either, just wiped everything else!

Message 53 of 71 (1,637 Views)

Hi @rupert74

Im on Nougat too but mine is Unbranded sim free. 

No gps issues as far as I can see.

A Factory Reset will only take the phone back to the last Firmware update , and wipe the phone of personal data as you've found out.

It wouldn't revert the phone back to Marshmallow. 

To learn more about that I'd suggest visiting xda developers site to learn more. 

Please be careful if you attempt anything. 

image.jpeg

Message 54 of 71 (1,631 Views)

I had exactly the same issue and flashed it back to 6.0.1. I have used the Samsung ROM and wifi calling once again works just fine.

Message 55 of 71 (1,523 Views)

[ Edited ]

@milestone ok, we know about it but what is the point to downgrade? For me Android 7 works better, smoother, faster, is more stable and looks much better than MM. 
Also problem is that Carphone Warehouse selling Vodafone contracts but phones are unbranded with XEU CSC and their customers are also discriminated by Vodafone. 
I expecting that we can read once again stupid rules what was pasted here few times and i do not belive there was some loop/hole in android 6.0.1 what let people use WiFi Calling on unbranded phones. Now it is only excuse to make people use phones from vodafone what are more expensive than in other places. Sorry, but if i have to pay about 100-200 pound more for phone just for wifi calling - i will say f*** o** to vodafone. Smiley Happy 

Message 56 of 71 (1,498 Views)

I'm not sure I really want to post this here but in the interest of helping out here goes. If I find that because of this vodafone cut the service I'll never be using them again!

Anyway - I've found you can get WiFi calling back on the S7, I'm on the XEU variant so I've no idea if that means this doesn't apply to the BTU CSC.

All I did was go into my settings online and turn off the WiFi calling feature under Manage your extras > Manage minutes.  Leave it overnight for the change to take effect and then turn it back on again the next day. After that the WiFi calling feaure showed up again in the phone settings.

Hope that helps someone!

Message 57 of 71 (1,299 Views)

This is really interesting. Can anyone else repeat this behaviour?

Message 58 of 71 (1,289 Views)

I'm checkin it. Let you know tomorrow guys when i enable my WiFi calling. 
I'm on XEU atm.

Message 59 of 71 (1,258 Views)

This tip is not working for me on Android 7 XEU. 

Message 60 of 71 (1,061 Views)
Got a question?

Get help and technical support on Vodafone's devices, products and services from our online community

If your question relates directly to your account or mobile number please contact our customer services team.

My Vodafone

My Vodafone

Stay in control of your spending and manage your account online.

Register for My Vodafone

Top up