Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

bluetooth connectivity not via phone

artieguber
4: Newbie

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect a bluetooth device (a headset for example) to my note 4 with using the normal way of getting phone to search for devices and paring?  In other words, is there a way of say connecting phone to desktop pc, and headset also to pc and somehow linking them together that way?

Reason i ask is that for many weeks now every time i go into bluetooth settings on the phone (to begin pairing process) i always get a message 'unfortunately stettings has stopped' etc and cannot proceed any further in the process. I do have a headset already connected, which connects to phone when i switch it on, but I have to leave bluetooth always switched on on the phone. If i turn bluetooth off and then on again i get the settings message.  But i have lived with it for a few months like this.    I have done a hard reset but no joy.  Incidentally i also get the settings message when i try to log on to Barclays mobile banking app and can never log in!!

But just wondered about pairing any devices in the future to the phone. I cannot buy a new headset, smartwatch etc in case i cannot connect and so money wasted.  So hoping there is a way via the pc of copying files etc from device to phone etc. 

thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

Not sure about this would work for you but worth looking into 

you could try a Bluetooth adapter and trying it through that I've seen some of my musician friends use one to play backing tracks From there phone and play along on guitar

not sure what you mean about bluetooth adaptor - is that something that plugs into pc?

ideally i would like to solve the 'settings has stopped' message when i access bluetooth menu on phone - but tried in vain searching internet for solution

thanks though

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

That message indicates that something in the Android operating system has been corrupted. the only way to get rid of it is to factory reset the phone. It could be affecting other aspects of the phone's operations and not just Bluetooth.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

thats what i fear

would factory reset put it back to 'out of box' condition - ie with lolipop installed, or would it open with the updated marshmallow that i currently am now on?

jeffkinn
It'll use the version of the operating system that's currently installed on the phone.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

i think it started playing up when it went to marshmallow from lolipop

will investigate the bluetooth adaptor option

thanks all

hrym

@artieguber wrote:

i think it started playing up when it went to marshmallow from lolipop

OS updates, especially platform ones, can disrupt the OS and a factory reset is the only option, I'm afraid.   I'm not sure whether a BT adaptor would work with a phone, so see if you can try one before you buy.

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

Hi

The blue tooth adapter also has 1 3.5 mm Jack to insert  (laptop) and 1 some times 2 3.5 mm inserts for plugging into the adapter (headphones)

I use one to make a guitar effects pedal wireless and also the extra jacks have loads uses and you should be able to plug heaphones in like you mentioned but will need checking for your use as I can not see what it is you are connecting.

If your lucky in your town and have a good quality music shop.

Or an electronics shop as it is a pretty hard thing to get if your unaware.