Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

camera error:" the camera may be in use by another application"

adamjohn
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi everyone,
i have trouble with camera in sony xperia M5. when i use camera, it's not working and a notication appear :" the camera may be in use by another application. Please close the other application and try again".
I make sure that there no application use camera. i am not only factory reset but also firmware repair by using Sony PC Companion.
Please help me.
p/s: I'm sorry for my bad English.
Thanks.

##>##

Your post has been edited due to our Community Guidelines.

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

Your English is just fine:)

If force stopping the camera and clearing it's data / caches does not help and a factory reset has not then I'd suggest to try downloading another camera app to try. 

Ensure any firmware updates have been updated. 

If no help then perhaps first speak with Sony UK support for guidance and help.  

A phone that's supplied by Vodafone UK has a 24 month warranty on it. By handing it in to a Vodafone high street store they could send it away to be looked at. 

If you acquired it elsewhere they you'll need to approach them. 

Try googling too. 

Just seen this. 

Settings > apps > all > camera > clear everything > restart your phone > try again

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

When you did a factory reset, did the camera work before you added any other downloaded apps?  If so, then the problem is likely to be with one of them and you should be able to find which by adding them one at a time until the problem recurs.  Uninstall that app and see if it goes away.

If the camera doesn't work immediately after a reset, it sounds as though part of the system is corrupt.  Have you allowed the battery to go flat at any time?   If this happens while system files are being written, all sorts of odd things can happen - including a complete inability to boot the phone.   In this case, the firmware will need to be re-flashed and you can go to either Vodafone or Sony for that.  We normally recommend the manufacturer, though.

Edited to add: It's also possible the booting to recovery mode and clearing the system cache would fix this.  See here for details (link to Sonymobile).