Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

software upgrade for lg g3

madforegolf
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

can anyone tell me if there is an upgrade to marshmallow o/s for lg g3 users please only lg say they have released the upgrade ?

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

As for the reasons pointed out in Vodafone Firmware Upgrade Statement

Vodafone won't comment for branded phones. 

Keep checking your software update section section in the phones settings is the generic advice.

I'm using an unbranded Samsung Galaxy s7 edge awaiting Nougat too.  Some Samsung users are Beta Testing it now. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hello there , my concern is that i`m still using android 5.0 have spoken to lg and they have released the marshmallow update i have just bought my daughter a vodafone smart ultra 7 which has android 6.0 on it just an update to marshmallow is what i`m after not interested in nougat lol

Hi,

It's ultimately down to you on what you update the phones firmware to as and when it becomes available. 

If you do not want Nougat then just remain on Marshmallow. 

It's not always the case that a newer Android Firmware, in this case Nougat, will be available for every phone too. 

I keep auto update off in my Samsung Galaxy s7 edge so it's my choice to update or not. 

It's always best best in my opinion to keep up to date as they also usually include Security Patches. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

I think the issue here is the upgrade chain, which can get quite convoluted for Android.   As you prpbably know, Google release the primary software, then the manufacturers adapt it for their devices (and may not do so for older ones) and then the networks do the same (and may not do so for older devices, or ones where their user base is small).   And that last link in the chain is where the major logjam occurs.

It's not a satisfactory situation, and I'd like to see Google adopt a more Apple-like stance, with the core of the OS going to everyone and any manufacturer but network tweaks (which would still be allowed) are effectively skinning.  That way, everyone could have updates and pretty much as soon as Google release them.

If you're not getting Marshmallow for your phone now, I very much doubt that you ever will, I'm afraid.

The solution is to buy SIM free so that you don't get the network version of the firmware and only have to rely on what the manufacturer puts out.   That means either buying outright or going via Carphone Warehouse or another 3rd party supplier who sells SIM free devices.

63johnw

hrym

Did you have stock or Vodafone firmware to begin with, @63johnw, and what did you end with when you had Marshmallow?

63johnw

@hrym wrote:

Did you have stock or Vodafone firmware to begin with, @63johnw, and what did you end with when you had Marshmallow?

@hrym it was a phone supplied by Vodafone so I assume it was their firmware but I can't remember for sure. This is what's on now.

Screenshot_2016-12-02-18-28-59.png