You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
SamuelTimms
Accepted Solution

3GS replaced by Apple, IMEI not recognised

Hi there,

Sorry for what seems to be a repeated thread!

I have a iPhone 3GS, supplied under contract from Vodafone about 3 years ago. 1 year into my contract it developed a fault and Apple replaced it. I've just moved abroad, and would like to use my Taiwanese simcard, and switch back to my Vodafone sim when back in the UK. 

I contacted Vodafone NUC team, who said the IMEI code was not in their database, they then said to contact e-mail support. 11 e-mails and a frustrated me later, Vodafone e-mail support have told me '[we] are unable to verify your IMEI number as it is not updated in our database' and that I should contact Apple and that 'they will be able to provide you the NUC'.

From what I've read Apple won't do this so my question is a) who/how do I contact Apple (their website wants me to pay for an extended warranty) as I cannot easily call/walk into a store from Taiwan b) some people have said if I persist, Vodafone will realise they do have the IMEI code/add it themselves.

I guess if anyone could point me in the right direction to having my phone unblocked please?

Huge huge thanks,

Sam

Message 1 of 18 (5,732 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
jeffkinn

Re: 3GS replaced by Apple, IMEI not recognised

You are right to be sceptical about contacting Apple as they will not be able to assist you. Only the network can request Apple to unlock the phone for you.

I've seen this problem referred to several times and there is clearly a hole in VF's procedures when a faulty phone is replaced by Apple.

One of the forum team will be along to help you but it might take some time as they work in a first come first served basis.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 2 of 18 (5,731 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi there SamuelTimms,

Thanks for your post. 

I've asked and the feeling amongst the team is that we, and not Apple, should be able to unlock the device for you.

I've sent an email for confirmation from the NUC team about this. Whilst I am awaiting their answer, could you provide me with the unlock request reference?

Cheers,

Lee

Message 3 of 18 (5,707 Views)
SamuelTimms

[ Edited ]

Hi Lee,

Many thanks for the quick reply. The details in question are as follows: NUC request 9095278. Customer Service ref 9133464.

Major thanks for your help,

Sam

Message 4 of 18 (5,695 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

[ Edited ]

Hi SamuelTimms,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I've just tried to call you. Please could you submit the unlock request again please?

Vodafone Unlock Code Request Form

Cheers,

Lee

Message 5 of 18 (5,678 Views)
SamuelTimms

Hi Lee,

Many thanks for your help. Sorry I missed your call, but being in Taiwan I didn't want to pick up & pay the roaming charges! I just resubmitted the NUC request #9177469. Would it be possible to have this escalated please?

Cheers for your help,

Sam

Message 6 of 18 (5,660 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi there SamuelTimms,

Thanks for the update. I didn't want to call in that eventuality because I didn't want you to incur any costs.

The process dictates that I have to attempt to call each customer when they've contacted us over email.

I'm afraid unless the agreed SLA has passed then I'm unable to escalate the query.

Cheers,

Lee

Message 7 of 18 (5,633 Views)
SamuelTimms

Hi Lee,

Since the original NUS request, customer service e-mails AND the forum it's now been 12 days. Is that the SLA passed?

Cheers,

Sam

Message 8 of 18 (5,619 Views)
outwhayshi

Thanks for your post here. I can’t see any issues with the Sure Signal from outside. Can you try completely de-registering the Sure Signal and then re-registering with the new number?

Message 9 of 18 (5,608 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi SamuelTimms

Thank you for your post.:smileyhappy:

I have asked for an update with this and as soon as I hear any information I will post back here.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

Message 10 of 18 (5,578 Views)
SamuelTimms

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to be a pain but its now the fourth working day since by latest NUC request (I guess we're up to 15 days in total). Wondered if you could prompt anybody - don't want to get lost in the system else! NUC request code: 487652.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Sam
Message 11 of 18 (5,550 Views)
SamuelTimms

Just to say I plugged it in again today and it now works. No confirmation e-mail but its finally unlocked. Massive thanks to the eforum team for your help.

Sam
Message 12 of 18 (5,532 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi SamuelTimms

Thanks for letting us know this is all sorted. :smileyhappy: If you have a spare minute could you please take the time to fill out a short feedback form regarding how our team dealt with your query?

You can do so here

Thanks

Wayne

Message 13 of 18 (5,524 Views)
markcpet

Hi I have a similar problem with my imei number not being recognised, can you help? Mark
Message 14 of 18 (5,345 Views)
Tech Team
Ben_H

Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting. Have you calso used the Vodafone Unlock Code Request Form to get your NUC? With apple devices it can take up to 14 working days for them to supply us with the relevant details and unlock your device via iTunes. 

If you've already got an unlocked device or if you've genuinely waited more than 14 working days for the SLA to pass, we'll be happy to chase it up for you via email. Simply follow the instructions I've sent to your Private Message inbox here. :smileywink:

Cheers, Ben 

Message 15 of 18 (5,309 Views)
jj996

I have the iphone 5 which was replaced by vodafone, i have filled the request form in (#4603556) and have recieved an email saying the imei is not on the system.

I too require this resolving, as this is just another problem to add to the list of problems I have had to endure from Vodafone!

Message 16 of 18 (2,551 Views)
Tech Team
Sukhi

Hi jj996

If you get in touch here we'll help you further with this :smileyhappy:.

Thanks

Sukhi

Message 17 of 18 (2,539 Views)
jj996

Hi Sukhi, this is getting dealt with from another post. Thank you for prompt reply
Message 18 of 18 (2,531 Views)