17-04-2012 10:20 AM
This morning I attempted to do a search using Safari on my iPhone and I was given 403 error. I tried using the Google app and was redirected to the same error screen.
Please can you help to rectify the error.
I am geographically in Central Manchester
(attached - screenshot of the 403 error screen)
Solved! See solution
18-04-2012 06:17 PM
Thank you for your post and a very warm welcome to the eForum.
Had you managed to search for anything at all before this error came up?
So I can take a look at the content control please follow the Private Message I have sent and we will be in touch as soon as we can.
You can find your PM inbox here.
Please can you also try a reset on your device, to do this hold down the Power button and the Home button until the device has switched of and the Apple logo has reappeared.
It would be amazing if you could take 30 seconds to complete a quick survey to aid my development.
07-11-2012 01:40 PM
I wonder if you can help me with the same issue. Basically I upgraded my 4S to iOS 6.0.1 yesterday evening, and now the Safari browser app takes me to the HTTP 403 Error page whenever I try to search or even enter a web address. The internet's obviously working as apps such as Facebook can still update etc. This isn't an issue with Wifi, only with 3G signal.
08-11-2012 08:35 AM
I am getting HTTP Error 403 for all web sites on my iPhone 4S when not on WiFi too.
It was working fine yesterday so is not the iOS upgrade which had already been done.
All apps that get data via web calls are affected too as far as I can tell - not surprising if there is some proxy in the way that is now blocking access.
08-11-2012 09:50 PM
Acting on information received in an email, I put my phone into 'airplane mode' for a minute then switched it back to normal. That fixed the problem for me.
That seems to be the equivalent of the cache flush on an assumed Windows PC that is in the troubleshooting notes for mobile broadband.
I don't see why flushing a DNS cache would make a difference but if it causes the DHCP lease to expire and a new IP address is allocated when you reconnect then that would explain why it makes a difference.
This problem has obviously happened before - perhaps some root cause analysis would be useful.