cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Another "Could not activate cellular data network" user !!

sweepdog
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've been a long standing O2 and always wanted an iPhone.  I took the route of buying a PAYG phone from them, and had it unlocked after 6 months (worked out about £5 than buying an unlocked phone from apple, plus the O2's rate including data usage was more appealing for my use), however at work there is no O2 3G signal, but a good Vodafone one

So I have a vodafone PAYG SIM, topped it up with £15, and then used £5 of that to buy the Web package to test things out.  In my account it is definately active and showing lots of red dots (expires Sept 4th), but I still can't use the 3G outdoors (when I go into the settings page, I see Voda with 3 blue bars next to it and 3G in blue).  There is a Voda mast right next to where we work, so it's not a signal problem!

I've upgraded my iphone to iOS 4.3.5

Definately not in airplane mode

Can receive/send phone calls and texts

General -> Network :  Cellular data is ON

Cellular data has the following settings

Cellular Data
APN - wap.vodafone.co.uk
username - wap
password - wap

MMS
APN - wap.vodafone.co.uk
username - wap
password - wap
MMSC - http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
MMS Proxy - 212.183.137.012:8799
MMS Max Message Size = 307200
MMS UA Prof URL - blank

Yet I still get "Could not activate cellular data network" .  Swap in my O2 SIM, and go outside, O2 is fine.  I have done this in 2 locations where a Voda USB dongle works fine.  I'm banging my head against a wall as I'd really like to move to Voda, but this is stopping me. Any ideas please?

7 REPLIES 7

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi sweepdog.

Thank you for your post. :smileyhappy:

I understand how frustrating it can be when you are paying for something you are not able to use it.

I would love to help you with this and due to the details you have provided means I am going to need to look into your account to check if any bars are currently on there and get them removed, to do this I have sent an email for you to complete and reply to in order for me to rectify this. 

Hope to hear from you soon.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

Don't forget to check out Vodafone VIP for the latest news, events and fantastic competitions!

OK, will send me details on - bit busy at work tomorrow

What hours do you guys work?

Hi sweepdog,

As you may guess by the time of my post, the eForum team work 24/7 however, if we need to speak with our support teams regarding the issue then certain queries may have to wait for a response until during the day rather than over night. :Smiling:

James

eForum Team

Hi james,

I'm having the exactly same issue. 3g is working fine on my O2 sim in an unlocked Iphone 3gs but when I swap the new Vodafone PAYG sim in I get the "Could not activate cellular data network".

Have Vodafone Text and Web Freebee enabled. have toped up. All the network settings are correct. signal is strong.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
JP

I could be wrong but as far as i know if you are on PAYG the 2 APN's below

APN - wap.vodafone.co.uk

APN - wap.vodafone.co.uk

need to be changed to

APN - pp.vodafone.co.uk

APN - pp.vodafone.co.uk

Guy's just check this out , it's works for me 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5RlX-tS-CQ

mattralph86
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

I'm getting the same 'could not activate cellular data network' error message.

My phone was stolen and just received a replacement phone and sim. The guy in the store set the sim up, saying bars had been removed, texts and calls are working fine, can't access the internet at all.

I've reset the phone, reset network settings, text 40127, talked through steps on live chat and had a call with a technical person, all of these steps haven't worked at all.

Can anyone help?