Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Apple 5s out of warranty Issue

RAKSTER
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Hi.

I have had my iPhone 5s for 15 months and the phone stopped working and will not switch on.
Battery was going from 100% to 0% in 3 hours without any use and now does not switch on.
I got the phone from Vodafone.

I took it to the Apple store today who told me it would cost £199 for a replacement. Advisor told me to see Vodafone due phone being faulty and it isnt down to consumer misuse so I can send it back to the retailer (Vodafone) to repair or replace free of charge as it is still under the EU Consumer Law.

I went to vodafone store, advisor said cannot repair for free and will cost same as apple charge.

Please help with consumer law issue.

Any complaints department details as I want to take this further, this is shocking.
11 REPLIES 11

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

The advice from the Vodafone store is wrong. The network does offer a 2 year warranty on iPhones as long as it isn't down to customer misuse. Go back to the store, ask for the manager and insist on your rights.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

No, the store was correct. Apple only offer one year warranties and all networks follow this. The consumer law that likes to get mentioned isn't even a law, it's an EU directive. The Sales of Goods Act is the law you need to look at, and that requires the customer to prove that the fault was there at purchase after six months.

As annoying as it is you'll have to pay for the repair as it's out of warranty.

jeffkinn
No. The store was wrong. Vodafone does offer a second year warranty. Also it's the Sale of Goods and Services Act that holds sway here not the Sale of Goods Act.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Trust me, the store was not wrong. Vodafone do not offer a second year warranty on iPhones. For other manufacturers there are two year warranties. With Apple products there are only one.

jeffkinn
That used to be the case but it isn't the case now. There is a second year warranty from Vodafone even though Apple itself does not.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

63johnw
@jeffkin I was under the same impression as you, it was changed some time ago to 24 months but I can't find it anywhere and this

http://help.vodafone.co.uk/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1000&PARTITION_ID=1&CMD=BROWS...

Would suggest its still 12 months ? So I no longer sure?

jeffkinn

Thanks @63johnw Let's find out if that is wrong and out of date as is often the case with Vodafone.

They definitely changed that policy a year or so ago and I'd be amazed if they've changed it back again.

Let's find out for certain shall we.

@Ellis_VF We'd appreciate it if you could confirm (or otherwise) that the policy of Vodafone offering a second year warranty on iPhones is still in place.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

63johnw

You are correct @jeffkinn  it did change to 24 months to come in line with EU laws.

I don't know where you are getting this from but I can say with 100% certainty that there is:

1 - No second year warranty on iPhones through Apple, Vodafone, or any other network.

2 - No EU law to say that there must be a second year warranty.