Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Apple 5s out of warranty Issue

RAKSTER
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Hi.

I have had my iPhone 5s for 15 months and the phone stopped working and will not switch on.
Battery was going from 100% to 0% in 3 hours without any use and now does not switch on.
I got the phone from Vodafone.

I took it to the Apple store today who told me it would cost £199 for a replacement. Advisor told me to see Vodafone due phone being faulty and it isnt down to consumer misuse so I can send it back to the retailer (Vodafone) to repair or replace free of charge as it is still under the EU Consumer Law.

I went to vodafone store, advisor said cannot repair for free and will cost same as apple charge.

Please help with consumer law issue.

Any complaints department details as I want to take this further, this is shocking.
11 REPLIES 11

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)
Your 100% certainty is incorrect.
Type "apple uk warranty" into a search engine and it will take you to the official Apple page explaining when warranties in excess of a year are enforceable under EU Consumer Law?

Care to provide this link? If you're going to claim something it's your responsibility to back it up with fact.

There is no EU law that says warranties must be longer than a year or anything of the sort. There is an EU directive, which is not a law, which is what the UK base their law on.

After the warranty has expired you are still entitled to a repair/replacement/partial refund if you can prove that the fault was present when you purchased the phone. For the first six months, it is the responsibility of the retailer to prove that the fault was not there, but this is irrelevent anyway since it's covered by warranty for a year. After six months, it is the customer's responsibility to prove that the fault was there at the time of purchase. This is of course overruled for the first year due to the warranty.

You are free to believe what you like, but I can say as fact that you won't get a warranty replacement on an iPhone over a year old.