Support:

Apple

Ask a question:
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
parish_chap
Accepted Solution

AppleCare **must** be purchased at the same time as the 4S!!!!

[ Edited ]

MacRumors has posted this story which states

Apple is also now requiring that AppleCare+ be purchased at the same time as the device, a change from other AppleCare offerings that have allowed customers to purchase AppleCare anytime before the standard warranty expires. That requirement has been causing some confusion with iPhone 4S pre-orders through carriers and other outlets, as many of them have not been offering AppleCare+ as an option.

Can a Mod look into this please? I know MacRumors is a US site and I suspect that such a condition would be illegal here in the UK, but it's kind of worrying as I didn't see AppleCare+ on the VF site when I placed my pre-order.

I guess the reason Apple have done this (in the US at least) is because AC+ now includes accidental damage cover so it's to stop people only buying AC+ if they damage their phone.

Message 1 of 9 (3,961 Views)
Rank 7: Helper I
AndyiPhone

Re: AppleCare **must** be purchased at the same time as the 4S!!!!

I don't think I've seem anything yet that even states AppleCare+ (which is what your referring to) is coming to the UK,

Standard AppleCare is still available which can be purchased anytime up to end of standard warranty.
Message 2 of 9 (3,938 Views)
Rank 7: Helper I
AndyiPhone

See here- http://www.apple.com/uk/support/products/iphone.html

Your talking of the US + version- http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

States at bottom of page when has to be purchased.

Message 3 of 9 (3,935 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
parish_chap

Thanks Andy. I was certain I'd seen it on the Apple UK site too, but I've worked out why. If you click Support in the menu bar on the UK site, then select one of the options on the Support page - Downloads, Communities, etc. - it takes you to support.apple.com, which is the US site. From any of the support pages, if you click Store it takes you to the US store so if you don't notice the prices are in US$ you end up reading US-specific stuff. IMHO, the site should set a cookie so it always takes you to your home-country store.

Sorry for the noise folks, as you were...

Message 4 of 9 (3,907 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
cmatt

[ Edited ]

I'd actually buy applecare+ i like the whole accidental repair bit :smileyhappy: and that i'd rather apple fix my phone then a third party... 

Message 5 of 9 (3,887 Views)
Rank 44: Oracle III
Nabs

cmatt wrote:

I'd actually buy applecare+ i like the whole accidental repair bit :smileyhappy: and that i'd rather apple fix my phone then a third party... 

Applecare+ may not be all that good a buy. You still have to pay $49 for each repair + you can only use it twice.

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 6 of 9 (3,773 Views)
Rank 20: Instructor IV
RupertTheFridge

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure Apple are the only people who repair returned iPhones? Regardless of who your SP is they will either replace it with a warranty device or forward it to Apple. The third party is nothing more than a middle man.
Message 7 of 9 (3,762 Views)
Rank 44: Oracle III
Nabs

RupertTheFridge wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure Apple are the only people who repair returned iPhones? Regardless of who your SP is they will either replace it with a warranty device or forward it to Apple. The third party is nothing more than a middle man.

I work in electrical retail so i have had customer returining with faulty ipods/pads/macs etc. Although we were the retailer to sell the product i always recommend they visit our local apple store directly as they will get a much quicker resolution. As a 3rd party we have to test the product to confirm if it's faulty, and then we can send it away to apple, this ususally takes around a week to then get sent back to us depending on the parts. Going to an Apple Store directly most people get a resolution same day!

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 8 of 9 (3,756 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
cmatt

well no - when my old iPhone kept crashing during a phone call (and was out of warranty) I sent iCrashy to my banks mobile phone insurance company and they keep all repairs 'in house'.  The insurance company attempted to fob me off with a crap replacement until I moaned enough to get it replaced for new.  

Now - obviously this insurance policy effectively costs me sod all as I mainly use my 'perks' for travel insurance/road side assistance etc.. so I cannot really expect steller service :-P  Patience won in the end.

As the only instance I had with the iPhone breaking is through a claim that could be argued is a extended warranty issue.   Touch wood I haven't actually broken a phone myself.   So it is unlikely for me to break a device by accident > 2 times in the first 2 years after purchase.  

Again - I would rather Apple fix it then rely on my insurer through the bank :smileytongue: and its still cheaper than what any operator can provide.   I do have apple care but never claimed on it for my macbook pro.  But when claiming for a Mac Book Air in work the repair was quick, staff informative and the MacBook Air came back cleaner than what it was when it was sent off (the user was a mucky pup!)   

Message 9 of 9 (3,691 Views)