You are here:
Ask a question:
Agg
Rank 1: Guest
Agg
Accepted Solution

Can you use an iPad on the Euro Traveller plan?

Hi, can anyone give me a definitive answer as to whether you can use the tariff your iPad is on in the UK when you go to Europe using the Euro Traveller tariff? I've been given very conflicting information by different elements of Vodafone regarding this.

In the stores they say you can't and the reason they try to give for this is that (and I quote...) "The iPad is not a phone". They say that the terms of the Euro Traveller say that it is only applicable to a "phone" (whatever that is these days!. 

However, when I have spoken to the Vodafone call centre they have said you can take the iPad UK tariff and use it in Europe as part of the Euro Traveller scheme. When I spoke to them I specifically said that I wanted to use my iPad as a WiFi hotspot so that I could send and receive business emails from my Laptop (I know this introduces a whole new question around "tethering", but I asked it to try and establish the principle.) I get a 2Gb monthly allowance with my UK tariff andf the chap I spoke to on the phone said you absolutely can take advantage of this on the Euro Traveller tariff either as a standalone device or even if you wanted to let other devices link to it via WiFi.

However (again) I have also seen a post on here from 2012 from a Vodafone employee who said back then you cannot use the iPad on Euro Traveller but with a winking smiling face suggesting this situation might be changing soon.

Now that it's 2013, has this situtation changed? I don't want to go away and start using it to send/receive emails, browse the net, twitter, instagram etc. and then get a hefty bill when I get back.

Cheers

Agg

Message 1 of 8 (4,495 Views)
Rank 45: Oracle IV
Nabs

Re: Can you use an iPad on the Euro Traveller plan?

Hi Agg,

As far as I was aware iPad tariffs were classed as 'Mobile Broadband' (ie don't include minutes and texts) and as such are not able to make use of Vodafone EuroTraveller.

Information about Mobile Broadband costs abroad can be found at vodafone.co.uk/internetabroad

Having done some digging on the iPad specifically you might find the following paragraph from the sales page useful:

International usage

This isn't included in your plan. Any usage outside the UK will be charged depending on the country you're in. To make it easier to see what you'll be charged, we've divided the world into two zones - Europe Zone and Rest of the World Zone. As zones and charges change from time to time, please check vodafone.co.uk/internetabroad before travelling.

Our charges are based on a calendar day and calculated in Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). Even when you're abroad, they'll be based on GMT rather than the local time in the country you're in.

When you travel abroad internet usage is rounded to the nearest MB for each day you use the service.

Also the Who Qualifies section of the  Vodafone Eurotraveller T+C's covers the scenarios where it is applicable.

Who qualifies

1. Vodafone EuroTraveller is available to pay monthly customers. Sorry, but it can't be used with pay as you go, mobile broadband, non-standard business plans and Public Sector.
  2. The following terms and conditions are for personal pay monthly customers. If you're a business customer please visit www.vodafone.co.uk/workingabroad for more information and terms.

Sorry to say but I don't think your goingto be able to use it. 

Nabs

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 2 of 8 (4,478 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Agg,

Nabs is spot on here.

Unfortunately you can’t use EuroTraveller with an iPad.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 3 of 8 (4,460 Views)
Agg
Agg

Since posting this, I have spoken to Vodafone again and they have told me that they can put me on something they called "100Mb daily roaming data in Europe" for £8 (inc VAT) per day. They did not seem to give this an actual tariff name, this is just what they called it on the phone. They also text me to confirm that this option had been added to the account my iPad is on.

This is all I found on the Vodafone web site about this:

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/business/shop/phones-and-plans/working-abroad/internet-abroad/index.htm

So, they say this is applicable to the iPad and that I can get up to 100Mb per day, which will be good enough for me. I do have to say though, I am still a bit cynical that this is actually what I want and will be valid for the iPad, but this is just because of all the conflicting information I have been given about this.

Hopefully I have enough back up in writing (the text message they sent, as well as this post!) in case they do slap me with a huge bill once I get back from my trip.

Cheers

Agg

Message 4 of 8 (4,371 Views)
Rank 17: Instructor I
sam365

Hi Agg,

The bundle in question doesnt really have a 'name' as such, but it does exactly what it says on the tin - every day you get 100mb of roaming data in Vodafone's Europe Zone (list of countries included in the europe zone can be found here)

If you happen to go over the limit of 100mb in any given day, then the standard international data roaming charges apply (roughly about £0.70 per additional mb used).

Found my post helpful? Press the Thumbs Up button!
Has my post solved your problem? Don't forget to mark it as a solution!
Message 5 of 8 (4,349 Views)
Agg
Agg

Hi Sam, thanks for the reply and for confirming what I hoped would be the case. I'm very glad I've got to the bottom of this all now.

Cheers

Agg

Message 6 of 8 (4,322 Views)
stevied99

How about you use your european traveller package on your phone, and use tethering or joikuspot so your phone is a wifi hotspot. This way, you get one charge (£1.50) per day, use your included data plan and can access this from any device.

Just make sure you have a phone charger with you as it's a gas guzzler.

Message 7 of 8 (3,903 Views)
DaveInBelfast

I also checked this with Vodafone as I'm about to go to Spain. Definitely no EuroTraveller with the iPad, but when I suggested using my iPhone (with EuroTraveller) as a hotspot, and using the iPad from that, he confirmed that that would be fine, and indeed was a very good idea!
Message 8 of 8 (3,385 Views)