Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cannot activate imessage or facetime against my phone number

mickyt11
2: Seeker

I purchased a 5s last week and it appears to be unlocked (i think).

When i try and activate imessage or facetime i get an error saying activation has been successful. When i sign in with my icloud email, under the Send/Recieve section (settings-messages) it shows my number and email address, but only the email is ticked. I canot select my phone number as it's greyed out? 

Ive tried everything such as turning phone off and on, reset network settings, airplane off mode, location settings but nothing works. I spoke to apple and they said it's not a problem on their side and Vodafone seem to be clueless on the phone. 

What i did notice though is when i try the simcard in another phone imessage seems to work fine, i.e. its against my phone number correctly.

I said i think the phone is unlocked, what i noticed though when i put the sim card in first time it didnt give me a message asking me to update the mms settings. When i put the simcard into the other working phone it sent me this message. So i think the phone is unlocked cause i can use it, not getting any no service issues.. There is a possibility this phone is from the US so maybe Vodafone is stopping apple from activating imessage or something?

Just wondered if anyone can suggest anything?

13 REPLIES 13

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Under Settings> My phone > does it show your phone number?

mickyt11
Yeah it shows it correctly

kids

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
Hi

Is the iPhone letting you go online using Vodaphone's data services ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

mickyt11
Yes can go online no problems

BandOfBrothers
Thank you for your answer.

Here is the  official troubleshooting guide https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201422 which I hope helps you in some way.

Good luck.

Current Phone  >

mickyt11
Thanks, I'm trying everything but it's never selecting my phone. Not sure if it's a network problem cause I tried it without the SIM card and just wifi and it still wasn't connecting

kids

It needs a sim card for it to activate as it picks up your phone number from the sim.

Has you email address ever been used with another iPhone / iPad where iMessage has been activated?

BandOfBrothers
I know you've tried some setting changes etc but I've seen this in a forum which seemed to work for some.

"If still no dice after 24 hours, or if you're feeling especially impatient, try the following. I have... erm... "experience" with troubleshooting iOS, and this has worked for loads of people:
Simply turn iMessage off in Settings > Messages. Turn your phone off. Turn your phone on. Turn iMessage back on."

Current Phone  >