Ask

Solution

Could Not Activate Mobile Data Network

Steve1963
2: Seeker

Hi Folks,

Just tried to access the Internet on my 4S and got the following message;

Could Not Activate Mobile Data Network - You Are Not Subscribed To A Mobile Data Service

I can access via Wi-Fi with no problem at all. This is the first time I have tried to access the internet

using the 3G network via my Sure Signal with Wi-Fi turned off.

I'm only doing this because I have been unable to access the My Vodafone app. Someone suggested that I made sure I could access my Vodafone internet account. I can't !

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve1963

I now have the answer to my own question and the My Vodafone app now works for the first time;

Settings > General - make sure Mobile Data is ON and select

Scroll down to Mobile Data Network and select

Mobile Data > APN - should read pp.vodafone.co.uk (if you are on PAYG) or

wap.vodafone.co.uk (if you are pay monthly)

I did it and now I can access the internet and use the my vodafone app as well.

My life is now worth living again !!

View solution in original position

55 REPLIES 55

Laura,
I know I'm going to sound a little scratchy here but I have been to a shop (Norwich) on Friday last week. showed them my ID and asked them to populate my address. The were not able to do this because there was something wrong with my account, said the helpful tech chap. He then contacted vodaphone on the phone, I suppose maybe to some central tech team like yourselves. they then spoke very tech stuff to each other, tried to update my account, even to change the sim allocated to it. nothing worked. the tech guy at the other end of the phone agreed to elevate the issue and requested I wait 72 hours while it 'cooked'. I've done this. it's now a week later and we are still at square 1it appears. I have a private message conversation going on at the moment and that is still stuck on identifying me. when I phone up tech support and vodaphone agrees that it's me, they say either that, as pay as you go, you do not need an address or that he/she is unable to enter it. do you notice a theme here? anyway. I think I can only continue this is via the private emails. One question I ask, you do you want me to give up and go else ware? I need mobile data!

Hi - would love to know your outcome as your problems with iphone 4 and iphone 5 are almost identical to what I am going through.  After 8 months of having 'cannot connect to network' issues with me paying high premium for 2GB mobile data which I cannot use am now at the end of my rope!

called, emailed, online chat and in-store visits have all been to no avail - have reset, added new settings, reset, moved from 3G to 2G (live in a village! GL54 2EH work OX29 8LJ), removed wifi, re-instated wifi, replaced new sim from iphone 5 into iphone 4 to see if it is sim - still have same issues - cannot use Skype, Whatsapp, email or internet if not near 3G area or on wifi! 

am thinking of even going back to just a simple phone that just makes calls and texts as what is the point of having all these wonderful apps but cannot use them?????

my problem is still going on. story so far is. vodaphone support contacted me so that they could determine the issue. I unfortunately they were unable to assist that much because they could not confirm my identity. this was because my postal address was not on my account. I have a pay as you go sim. anyhow I ended up speaking to a helpful chap called Gary who looked at my account and he neither could update my address. He thought though that an address was not a required bit of pay as you go information. anyway, he escalated the not being able to update my address. it was then suggested I go to a vodaphone shop. I've now done this. we thought it might be the sim as my ipad is completely set up properly, APN settings and everything. the shop tech guy contacted by phone vodaphone tech support where between the. they concluded that there was something wrong with my actual account. they can see my credit, which I cannt spend. they could not assign a new sim nor could they update my address. I wanted this so that on-line support might be able to help in the future. Bottom line is that vodaphone have again esciliated my issue and I need to allow 72 hours for it to ''Cook' with them. I will contacted them again on Wednesday to see how it's going on. bit of a slow process but I'm sticking with it. Not having mobile data is really being an issue for me. I need it fixed.

Hi mitch392,

I can understand your frustration.

If you're still having issues, please contact us here.

We'll look into this for you.

Thanks,

Ian

Thanks Ian, I contacted you support team by phone. my issue is still in work with the team. I was advised to call back in 2 days. I'll post outcomes so that others can benefit from what might be going wrong here. As I said before, your side of the house were not able to help me before directly from emails as they said they could not fully identify me because my address info was not held against my account. however, if you can confirm that this type of info is not required for pay as you go, then that will be helpful to know and like you say I could contact you other than by phone.
Thanks again. Chris

commandd
4: Newbie
Hi Laura

Please can you confirm you have received my account details on email and this problem is being looked into

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi commandd - did you get a automatic reply by email?  If so, your message has been received.  Please post the reference number back here so that the Team can trace your message.  The reference number will look a bit like this:  [#7123456].

PWIAC

commandd
4: Newbie
Hi. I follow a link from Laura - and this is the ref in the subject field - WRT165. Does this help?

drey_p

Nope, that is the routing code you needed to put in the message that you sent.  I am on about the automatic reply email that you should have received by now.  Post the reference number from that automated email back here.  It will look like this: [#7123456]

PWIAC

Hi mitch392,

Thanks for letting us know everything’s sorted.

Hi commandd,

Did you use the same email address you’ve registered on the eForum to send the email?

Thanks,

Simon