Ask

Solution

Could Not Activate Mobile Data Network

Steve1963
2: Seeker

Hi Folks,

Just tried to access the Internet on my 4S and got the following message;

Could Not Activate Mobile Data Network - You Are Not Subscribed To A Mobile Data Service

I can access via Wi-Fi with no problem at all. This is the first time I have tried to access the internet

using the 3G network via my Sure Signal with Wi-Fi turned off.

I'm only doing this because I have been unable to access the My Vodafone app. Someone suggested that I made sure I could access my Vodafone internet account. I can't !

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve1963

I now have the answer to my own question and the My Vodafone app now works for the first time;

Settings > General - make sure Mobile Data is ON and select

Scroll down to Mobile Data Network and select

Mobile Data > APN - should read pp.vodafone.co.uk (if you are on PAYG) or

wap.vodafone.co.uk (if you are pay monthly)

I did it and now I can access the internet and use the my vodafone app as well.

My life is now worth living again !!

View solution in original position

55 REPLIES 55

Steve1963

I now have the answer to my own question and the My Vodafone app now works for the first time;

Settings > General - make sure Mobile Data is ON and select

Scroll down to Mobile Data Network and select

Mobile Data > APN - should read pp.vodafone.co.uk (if you are on PAYG) or

wap.vodafone.co.uk (if you are pay monthly)

I did it and now I can access the internet and use the my vodafone app as well.

My life is now worth living again !!

I frequently get the same problem. I did try the solution above but it does not work. I'm pay as you go. paid £5 for 250mb for a month. Vodaphone messages said all wax updated and I got a receipt email. it works sometimes but most of the time I get the following:
Could Not Activate Mobile Data Network
Mobile Data Plan Usage - then saying I have no data remaining on my plan. which is not the case.

all this is stopping me spending money with vodaphone by consuming pay as you go data. I have good signal and it lets me look at my account just using mobile data only, so it is seeing me. given that it sometimes works, of it own accord the APN setting must be fine as they are. I do travel around a lot across the county and not in towns much. so not much 3G ( even with 3G it does not always say data service available - this is my story. please help me. Chris

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Chris,

Try checking for software updates for your phone by connecting it to iTunes.

If it doesn't prompt a download, take a look here for how to get in touch. We'll check to see it's provisioned correctly on your number.

We aim to reply to emails within 48 hours. If you need a quicker response, please visit our Contact Us page.

Cheers, Ben

commandd
4: Newbie
Hi I am also having this problem and message "could not activate data network". I had an iphone 4 and eventually gave up trying to solve it. I recently bought a new iPhone 5c, thinking this would resolve the problem - but I still cannot get any 3G. I have taken it into vodafone and they have double checked all the PAYG settings are correct and also put the sim into another phone and 3G works fine. I have also done a hard reset and reinstalled all the settings but still no luck. I'm sure it is not the iphone as I had exactly the same problem previously. They also checked if there was any block on the number, which there wasn't. Please can you help?
Thanks

Hi commandd,

It certainly sounds as though there's something wrong with your iPhone 5C. If the 3G failed to work in another phone, I'd argue that there may be something wrong with your account, as it is working, it certainly points to the phone.

You'll need to speak with the supplier of the iPhone about either exchanging it or getting it repaired.

Thanks,

Matt B

Hi Matt

thanks for your reply

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can you see if you can sort this out for me, as your staff in the shop and your call centre have no idea why this is happening and have no answer, which is obviously not acceptable. FYI I have 5 phones with vodafone for the last 10 or so years and if this cannot get sorted I will be moving all my other contracts.

This is the situation and the steps I have done to try and resolve it:

iphone 4 could not connect to 3G (reset all setting etc)

Bought new iphone 5c - New Nano SIM

Still NO 3G

All settings and the phone has been reset multiple times by both 2 x vodafone shops and call centre

Been backed to apple who have replaced the iphone with a new phone (so not the phone)

Been back into your store - they have given me another PAYG sim and works fine??!!??

The only conclusion is there MUST be some very deep setting somewhere on YOUR system that is preventing this number accessing 3G. Your tech support are adament there is no block on this number!

Where do I go from here?

Look forward to your reply

Also do you have a contact number to discuss?

thanks

commandd,
the support people have contacted me now by private message. I gave them a few more details, but I'm hanging in. this does not look like a common problem for vodaphone as there is not a load of eForum posts on the subject. so maybe not an obvious fix. I'm assuming your issue is like mine where it says the things on the screen shots I have attached. on a side, the shop vodaphone tech chap did start off by saying this issue was a known problem and it just required them to apply a patch or something like that. sadly once he started to look at my account it appeared that that was not the case. The issue he thought it was was that the system was not turning payments into Data MB and transfusing this to the account. all very interesting but clearly not that simple now for me and you eh? like you, not getting mobile data is a complete pain. I'm only getting the chance to connect on wifi every now and again. As I said before, if I get news on progress I'll post it. good luck. C

Hi mitch392,

So we’re able to look into this we’ll need to update your details on the system.

Please pop to a store with proof of ID and address, so we can do this for you.

Once this is done we’ll be able to speak to you about this via email, if the store is unable to fix it.

Thanks,

Hi commandd,

Get in touch with us here, as we’ll need to look at your account.

Thanks,

Laura

Hi Laura

I have just sent you all my details - look forward to your response

thanks

commandd