cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Could not activate cellular data network?

Ayri
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, It's my first time posting for help on this so sorry if I'm not that clear of my problem.

I've been having a problem with 3G on my iPhone4s contract that I've had for a few months now. I can never seem to connect where ever I am, Rarely I manage to get connected but I always recieve the message "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding." I resetted my Phone and tried again, The network icon at the top stayed on "Searching.." and eventually gave me a message saying "Could not activate cellular data network." I don't know if I've done something that could affect this or is it the area that I'm living in. My post code area is EH19. I always have the 3G Icon and Full bars in my area but I can never connect to the Internet on my Phone. Is anyone else having this problem or is there something wrong with my iPhone? Much help appreciated. Thanks :smileyhappy:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that. It was previously on a vodafone contract which is why the settings would have been wrong.

I managed to fix it last night from info on another forum which told me to get the correct settings by texting 'WEB' to 40127.

Did this and received a link which I was able to download straight to my phone (needed wifi for this).

Fixed within moments.

Cheerio.

View solution in original position

10 REPLIES 10

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Ayri,

Many thanks for your post here.

To be honest when it comes to this type of message there is usually two things that could be causing it;

1. The APN settings on the phone are incorrect.
  2. The account is not setup correctly.

Basically can you let me know if you are on contract or PAYG and also let me know what settings you have in your phone?

Also have you tried to do a full back up and restore via iTunes?

If you can let me know I will be able to advise you further.

James

i've found the same problem i'm on pay as you go and i topped up at the shop, when i got the sim, and have been unable to get internet other than on wi fi but often have a 3g signal

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi doctorwhoy

Thank you for your post and a very warm welcome to the eForum. :smileyhappy:

As James mentions above the main cause is due to the APN settings on your device.

Please can you chek that you have the correct APN settings for your agreement, these can be found in Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network.

Let me know how you get on.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

It would be amazing if you could take 30 seconds to complete a quick survey to aid my development. :smileyvery-happy:

Hello, having the same problem and tried everything as above and on every other help forum bar the APN settings as I don't know what my correct APN settings should be. Where do I get them from to input into my phone? I am on pay as you go text and web freebee. Thanks. 

Hi Jammy_Badger,

If your phone was previously a contract phone, the settings you have would be incorrect.

You can get the correct settings for an iPhone by connecting to iTunes with your USB cable. This is the same whether it's contract or PAYG.

If it still fails to connect, is the phone locked to another provider?

Dave

If I've helped at all today, why not leave me a little feedback?

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that. It was previously on a vodafone contract which is why the settings would have been wrong.

I managed to fix it last night from info on another forum which told me to get the correct settings by texting 'WEB' to 40127.

Did this and received a link which I was able to download straight to my phone (needed wifi for this).

Fixed within moments.

Cheerio.

I have the same issue on a pay-as-you-go Iphone 4

I did text 40127 and uploaded the new profile but I still get the same message 

Anything else I should try?

Phil
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi @DouglasLawrence, 

We'll need to take a look to make sure everything is set up from our end.

Please contact us here and we'll take a look for you. 

Thanks, 

Phil

himal_makwana
1: Seeker

I am having the same problem, I cannot use my number to access any data eg email and internet access for no reasons. Really causing me issues as I have also lost my old number in th porting process and vodafone say they are resolving this, when there is little evidence of this.