You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
coastalmr

DATA billing on iphone 4

Just a query has anyone else had issues with data billing on the iphone 4, i have been having data transfers listed on my account  of  2mbs or more at random points in the day and night, this is with all apps closed. I barely use the data on my phone preferring wireless as I can rarely get 3g signal in my area a problem that has been acknowledged by Vodafone.  This issue only came to light over the last few days when I got a text from vodafone saying I was close to my 1gb limit! I was confused by this as like I said I rarely use the data connection, when I do its mostly only for email, I certainly never stream video or tether as the connections not good enough. Well I spoke to Vodafone and the guy on the line reckons that the phones software updates itself at random points?! not sure if this is true?  My data has now gone over the 1GB threshold but he has told me they will waive the charge, this leads me to think something is going on that they arent relaying to customers? I don't know but I know there is now way I  have transferred over a 1GB of data. 

Message 1 of 17 (4,976 Views)
Guesswot

Re: DATA billing on iphone 4

My first month on iPhone 4.  I had txt  that my data was approaching limit.  As I use my home wi-fi 99% of the time this seems ludicrous. As you say 'what is going on'.

Message 2 of 17 (4,958 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
jeffkinn

Wifi goes to sleep when the phone is asleep and is not always on unless connected to a power source. If you have emails accounts with fetch or pull on them or other apps running with push notifications such as Facebook, you will inevitably use data.

when you are home using WiFi switch mobile data off and the phone will be forced to usw Wifi.

settings - general - network - mobile/cellular data - off 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 3 of 17 (4,949 Views)
coastalmr

I realise that, this was what the guy said to me on the phone yesterday, so to test I closed all apps, I have push turned off anyway. So I had no apps loaded but my account was still registering data usage at intermittent times of the day

Message 4 of 17 (4,938 Views)
Scooterboi60

Hi There

I am having the same problem with my phone also, after I had downloaded the VF app for data usage I monitored it for over 3 weeks. I have recently received my recent bill which I found that my data usage was totally wrong. When I am at home at weekends I use my wireless router and always check that the wireless icon is at the top of the screen. You can imagine my suprise when i looked at the data usage to find that on sat 15th  jan 119mb was used on the 16th of jan 75mb were used and on the17th jananother 81 mb was used. Now bearing in mind I always use my wireless network, I think it is a Vodafone issue. All my apps were removed before these figures were taken so there is nothing running in the background. I have tried contacting VF yesterday for approx 23 mins and then again today for a further 19 mins but still could not get anyone to take my call. I am now in the process of taking this up further with VF to find out exactly what they are playing at, as I said before the only apps I have on the phone are the ones which were pre installed. I have tried Customer Services and even sent e-mails but I think this problem goes a lot deeper than what people think.

Watch this space for updates !!!!!!!

Message 5 of 17 (4,711 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
jeffkinn

Did you follow the advice I gave earlier in the thread about turning off mobile data when you are connected to WiFi? The WiFi goes to sleep unless the phone is plugged into mains power.

If your phone has connected to the internet for whatever reason that is hardly likely to be VF's fault is it.

Phones do things that we aren't always aware of and I've seen lots of threads in other places about data usage n the middle of the night. Turning off mobile data ensures that these random connections are not using up any of your allowance.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 6 of 17 (4,678 Views)
Scooterboi60

Yes all the precautions and info given were followed to the letter, but when you state that "Phones do things that we aren't always aware of" surely people should be made aware of this issue before they are signed up for limited internet access or is this some marketing ploy by VF , be it their fault or not there seems to be a major issue going on here which I hope to get to the bottom of very very soon (Will report back when I have all the details/facts in front of me). How can my usage over 3 days add up to more than 200mb when I am only connected to the wifi network ????. Also when I questioned this issue with customer services they swiftly upped my data allowance from 750mb to 1650mb with no questions asked. Which I thought was very kind of them . Surely the software can be set up so that no updates are carried out while the phone is in sleep mode and should be verified by the user before any update is allowed. Thankfully I have to verify any downloads through Itunes otherwise I would have been bankrupt by now (lol).

Message 7 of 17 (4,576 Views)
Scooterboi60

[ Edited ]

Another strange thing which I have recently found out is the fact that if you took out a contract with the Iphone 3 you were given unlimited internet access, but those people that were lucky or unlucky enough (whichever way you look at it) to upgrade to the Iphone 4 were given limited internet access, perhaps this issue was spotted when the latest Iphone was released . That is probably why it has been capped, otherwise why would they do it  ??

Message 8 of 17 (4,566 Views)
Scooterboi60

I think I have just found out where all of my data allowance is going !!!!! I have just looked on the apple site for this particular issue and have found the following posts

First question isas follows :

Can anyone confirm that the information is correct that Apple removed the 'persistent' WIFI feature from IOS 4.1 If so, why? Was it to save battery power?
My wife and I have had Iphone 4's for approximately 4 months now. I had the 2GB plan and she the 200MB as she is at home 95% of the time with our new baby and is constantly connected to the home WIFI.
She was only using up to most 80MB/month in the busiest month. After upgrading to IOS 4.2, her usage skyrocketed over her limit. Usage over cellular is registering throughout the day and night when the phone is still connected to our WIFI. Push notifications are off and email is set to manual. This has made the 200MB plan useless .
The only work around so far is to turn off cellular when at home to ensure only WIFI is being used, and turn it on again when she leaves the house. It's inconvenient to have to do this on such a 'smart' phone, especially on occasion when the phone wont connect and has to be shut down and restarted to connect again. Therefore we have had to upgrade to the benefit of AT&T to a more expensive 2GB plan to ensure no overages (as yet).
Apple-could you please reinstate the persistent wifi to IOS 4.2 rather than have the phone connect to cellular when it's put to sleep. I could live with the battery charge loss as the phone needs to be charged at least nightly anyway.
Does anybody out there know of a better solution?

The reply given is :

The "persistent WiFi feature" added in 4.x has not been removed and only works when you disable cellular data in: Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data > OFF. In that case, WiFi remains connected when the phone is in sleep mode.

It NEVER has been the case that WiFi connection persists when cell data is not disabled, in ANY iOS version.

So in other words if you dont follow the above procedure after you upgrade your Iphone to the latest IOS 4.2 you will be charged for going over your data allowance. 

If you need further conformation on this isssue copy this link  into your browser

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=13025982&#13025982

Make your own mind up about the iphone but this is happening across all networks you have been warned !!!!

Message 9 of 17 (4,504 Views)
mrpauladams

If only this was the answer! I was billed for extra data usage this month. My Bill stated I had downloaded 1.28gb of data, pretty impressive in an area with virtually no 3G! VF did remove the charges after calling them for a third time. I was given the usual script about how the phone reverts to data when the wifi is slow. I explained I was switched to airplane mode so this wouldnt happen. Anyway last week I decided to do a test. On thursday night I switched the phone off all night and most of the following morning. I checked my unbilled usage and apparently I was downloading data all through thursday night! pretty impressive for a phone that was switched off! 

What is going on? Im getting seriously hacked off about this now, and it appears that others are having similar issues to me.

Message 10 of 17 (4,434 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
jaayne

I remember reading about this a few years ago..

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=929936

I've never had this problem as I always put my phone into Airplane mode when I goto sleep..

Hope the link provides you with some answers!!

Message 11 of 17 (4,419 Views)
Scooterboi60

HI Jaayne

Thanks for the link , I am just wandering if this issue is with Iphone phones only, if it is I will be selling mine pretty soon. I will have a mooch around the various forums and will post shortly.

Thanks again

Message 12 of 17 (4,401 Views)
mrpauladams

Same problems again, fourth phone call , no further,  is anyone else experiencing this issue?

All the apps on my phone were terminated , location services off, push off, wifi off . So no reason for the wap service to be activated. 

Every hour through last night I had "2929.977 Kb" supposedly downloaded to my phone! I have just been given the usual brush off by the guy in the call centre saying it will only report usage if its been used!!! well in an ideal world! Now I have been told to take the phone to s a store to check no apps are to blame, well I didnt have any apps open! this is really starting to make me angry now. What the hell is going on with this.

Message 13 of 17 (4,042 Views)
jonsey47

Paul

Your not the only one see here http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/iPhone-4/iphone4-unauthorised-data-usage/td-p/652311

Someone somewhere must be able to definitively confirm what is causing this....  My suspect originally was the Facebook app and its location services. 

Now I seem to think that the Iphone goes into some sort of unknown data upload mode and gets stuck in a cycle, considering the frequency and amount.  Apple and Vodafone need to look at this together. ..

And before anyone asks I have push/email notifications to manual or off..  Only enabled setting is location services.

Rob.

Message 14 of 17 (4,021 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your posts here. I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your iPhones.

I appreciate what you are all saying but some apps will update, even if they are closed. My best suggestion would be to turn everything off, inclusing location services and see if you still get the same usage. If you still get usage I would then suggest factory resetting your phone. Once you have done this, one by one, install your apps. Once you notice the usage again, you'll know which app is causing the issue.

Please let us know how you get on and we'll be happy to help you further

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Message 15 of 17 (3,968 Views)
mrpauladams

Hi Wayne

Do apps really update when they are closed ? mmmm that seems impossible if they are purged from memory. Well interestingly I have the vodafone usage app installed on my phone. This was advised when I went into the store last wednedsay. Since then I have used the internet via data twice on my phone. Both times  to view the rail times in safari. Any other times  I have accessed via wifi in airplane mode. Checking the usage apparently I have downloaded close to 100mb since wednesday! a crazy amount for two static pages in safari. I think im going to try resetting the phone and if that doesnt resolve things Im taking it back. 

Oh I have push and location services turned off 

Message 16 of 17 (3,878 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Woody

Hi mrpauladams,

This does seem like quite a lot of data for those few pages. Some apps are designed to check for schedule updates and the phone itself will check for updates for all the apps as well.

Please let us know if the reset doesn't improve the situation.

Woody

eForum Team

Message 17 of 17 (3,851 Views)