Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Getting Started with US iPhone 5 in the UK

Chele-Marie
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm sorry if this is supposed to be placed under another heading, but I was wondering if someone could offer some advice on how to get started as a Vodafone customer from outside the UK.  I will be traveling to England in mid September to begin University.  I have already purchased an unlocked iPhone 5 in the United States and will be bringing that phone with me to the UK.  I was wondering if someone could tell if there was anything I could do prior to coming to the UK (e.g. purchase a SIM card).  

As far as what I will need the phone for, I would like for it to be able to send text messages internationally if possible.  Also, the plan I choose needs to allow me to use the internet on my phone.  I'm a little confused how payment works for phones in the UK.  Currently, I have a plan with Sprint in the U.S., where I pay a monthly bill.  I will not have a UK bank account when I arrive.  I was planning on stopping in the Vodafone store at the Heathrow airport to set up my phone if I needed to.  Will I be able to set up my phone without a UK bank account or will I need to wait until I have one?  

I appologize for asking so many questions, but I would like to be able to get as much done before leaving for the UK.  I would rather not have to worry about setting up my phone at the airport, as I will be making a connection flight to Leeds from Heathrow.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me with.

7 REPLIES 7

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Hi there,

You won't be able to get a pay monthly account until you have set up a UK based bank account and got through the credit check. There are special arrangements in place for overseas students but until you have got yourself sorted out you will need to have a pay as you go sim card to put in your iPhone 5. You'll be able to buy one of those at the Vodafone store at Heathrow airport.

Rather than sending international texts, which can be expensive, you would be far better off using something like whatsapp which uses a little bit of the data you'll have on your PAYG tariff. That only works if the people back home have smart phones of course. With other iPhones you'll be able to use iMessage.

Are you absolutely sure the iPhone is properly unlocked? Did you buy it from an Apple store?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thank you very much for the information.  By having a pay as you go SIM card, will I be able to access the internet on my phone, or will I only be able to make/recieve phone calls?

I purchased my iPhone from an Apple store.  I asked for an unlocked phone and the woman who waited on me said I would be able to use it with a SIM card in England.  How do I tell if it is properly unlocked?  I have heard that some phones are not, but she didn't give me any other option than the phone she told me to buy (just a standard 32 GB iPhone 5), so I just assumed that there would be no problems with it.

jeffkinn
As long as it was unlocked and not simply not on a contract you'll be fine. And yes you can get the internet on a PAYG Card.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks!  That was really helpful :smileyhappy:.

Is there any way you can get the PAYG sim card prior to arriving at Heathrow?  If not, what are the hours of the store in Heathrow?

@Rozell99

The Heathrow store has now been closed.

However, you can collect a free PAYG SIM from your nearest Vodafone Store on arrival.

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@Rozell99 wrote:

Is there any way you can get the PAYG sim card prior to arriving at Heathrow?  If not, what are the hours of the store in Heathrow?

If you are arriving at T2 - The Queens Terminal there is a shop (not Vodafone) that sells sims and other phone accessories. When you leave the arrivals channel you arrive at the Meeting Point and just to the right of the seats there are some shops. When I arrived back from Bangkok at 9.30 pm a couple of months ago the shop was still open.

The other way and it depends on how long it is before you arrive here  is to ask someone in the UK to buy a PAYG sim and activate it then post it to you.