Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

IPhone 5s ebay scam

Topjacket
3: Seeker
Hello

I have purchased an iPhone 5s (locked to voda) from ebay, it is in box and still sealed. While waiting for it to be delivered I have since read about scams where by people sell their phone, wait for a period of time and then report it stolen.

Is there any way I can have the phone (which I think will be on a contract with voda) switched over to me so it can't be reported as stolen by the original owner?

I did search for ebay scams on here but couldn't see anything so sorry I this has already been asked a million times.

Cheers
Jim
4 REPLIES 4

AnnS
17: Community Champion

@Topjacket 

That won't be possible.  The proof of purchase is with the original and first owner.  If the rightful owner decided to report it lost or stolen and make a fraudulent insurance claim, there would be nothing which you would be able to do to have the blacklisting removed.

If you wanted the phone unlocked, there again, you would need to go back to the seller, providing the seller was the original owner.

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@Topjacket wrote:
Is there any way I can have the phone (which I think will be on a contract with voda) switched over to me so it can't be reported as stolen by the original owner?

The only way you can afford yourself some protection is to keep a copy of the item published on Ebay so that you have proof of the item's description and the seller. You can then go back to eBay within 90 days if the item is reported stolen within that time.

What feedback does the seller have, any negative in there?

Also when you activate the phone make a screenshot of the activation page so you have a timeline for the phone. Before opening the sealed phone box take a photo of the box showing the serial number.

These things will give you some protection if your worst fears some about.

BandOfBrothers
Hi

These scams do indeed occur regarding phones and insurance claims.

Good advice given above and be aware you do have protection through eBay and PayPal.

However many don't have these issues as not every bodies integrity is very low and I wish you luck with your purchase.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Topjacket

Thanks very much for the replies

Unfortunately this is what I was starting to think. The seller has 100% feedback but only has 13 transactions and was only set up last month which does make me feel a little uneasy.

I am going to ask the seller to send me a copy of the original Voda receipt, I dont know if it will help me at all if things do go wrong but if someone is 100% genuine I dont think they would have a problem providing this so may give me an idea of what to expect in 90 days when all my refund options have gone.