Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Insurance claim please help

jamie_84
2: Seeker

Hello, 

I unfortunately had my phone stolen on Saturday 30th July after which at around 11pm on the same day I rang Vodafone and was assured my phone had been barred.

I am currently making an insurance claim through CPP and I had to provide them with proof of purchase details which you have provided them by email, thank you.

But I have a major problem and its becoming increasingly frustrating trying to sort this out, on the proof of purchase it says my phone was barred Monday 1st of August when it was actually barred on Saturday 30th July shortly after 11pm (not sure of the specific time as I was on hold for nearly a hour), this is becoming a major problem as my insurance claim will not be valid until this matter is cleared up. As i stated to them in my claim it was barred when i contacted vodafone on 30th July.

I have spoken with Vodafone over the phone and I have been told the phone was barred out of working hours on another system which is where the confusion lies. I need confirmation of this sending to my insurance company along with the last usage time to prove my phone was barred on Saturday 30th July, also that this is a mistake on behalf of Vodafone and not that the phone wasn’t barred on the 30th July. My claim cannot go through until my insurance company receives a email from yourselves stating that the phone was barred on the 30th July as this is the date i contacted vodafone and was assured the phone had been barred, on the proof of purchase it's saying 1st of August which is incorrect. Please can you help me solve this problem...

Many Thanks
Jamie Harrison

7 REPLIES 7

jamie_84
This is getting ridiculous now. I have been trying to get to the bottom of this for 3 days and getting nowhere, really don’t know what to do.

I ring Vodafone who tell me to email the guys at Vodafone webform who then should be able to help but they can’t.

Why is my phone coming up as number barred on Monday 1st August when I rang vodafone to tell them my phone was stolen on Saturday the 30th? I can’t get my phone replaced till this mess is cleared up.

Can nobody on here help? My insurance company are basically saying that I need vodafone to email them to inform them that there was a technical fault regarding the barring of my number and it was either the 30/31st (near midnight can remember exactly when I got through) my number was barred.

Someone or a fault at vodafone is at this rate stopping me claiming on my insurance when I did everything that was asked of me. I really don't understand as the guy I spoke to assured me it had been cancelled after telling him it had been stolen. My girlfriend also has evidence as in her call list it shows seconds when she was ringing to see if someone would answer the phone and return it before I cancelled it(seconds = going to answer phone), then after it shows call cancelled so that shows the number is blocked.

Is it possible my number/sim could have been blocked and then later the imei number?

Hi jamie_84

I am sure that we can get this information sent to you and the insurance company.

I have therefore just sent you an email, if you can reply back to that with the relevant information we can then get back to you. PLease make sure that you let us know of the email address that we need to send it to.

I would also like to let you know that we work on a first come first served basis on here which is fair for all users of the forum, so there is no need to repost the issue.

Thanks

Martin

eForum Team

On 11/06/11 I entered a Vodafone store in a shopping centre in Cambridge in order to take out a contract with an iPhone 4. I was served by “Emma” to whom I explained [in detail] my situation;

I have a company sim card with Vodafone business, which is handled and managed by the company I work for. I wanted to purchase a contract and iPhone so I would be able to switch between my work and personal sim as needed.

Being wary of the complications about insurance, I asked “Emma” specifically whether my contract and/or insurance on the phone [which I also agreed to purchase] would be affected ‘in any way’ if I was using my company sim in the phone. I was told categorically that “no, it wouldn’t be affected”. For this reason, and this reason alone, I signed the contract and began using the phone. Since then I had been using the phone with my company sim card exclusively, whilst of course, paying for both my contract and also the insurance for the phone.

On 26/10/11 my phone was stolen and I began the process of recovering my handset. Having been to the police and reporting the theft, I called the customer service line to block the number of my work sim [in the phone at the time]. I was told that I would have to contact the insurance line to organise a new handset. The next day, I called the insurance line on 03333043346 and explained, once again my predicament. Upon identifying the fact that my work sim was in the phone at the time, the operator informed me that my claim would come back unsuccessful, based on the fact that the sim card in the phone at the time was not my personal number.

Now, the insurance that I took out on the contract was to cover the phone, as opposed to the sim card: this is implied by the fact that it costs £12.99  per month and is such a cost because of the cost of the handset. Sim cards on the other hand, are ten-a-penny. I was told that in the small print of the contract [which I did not feel the need to read, because of what “Emma” had told me about the use of my work sim card] it outlined that in order to be insured, the personal sim would have to be in the phone at the time to be valid.

So, having confirmed, with the salesperson “Emma” in store, I felt comfortable that I would be covered whatever the circumstances. To this, the operator decided that this wasn’t in fact their problem, but mine. Being a 3rd party insurance company, and not part of Vodafone, I can fully understand their position, which is why I then called the Vodafone customer service line once more to remonstrate.

I talked with a supervisor and explained in full [again] my situation and the fact that I had been given contradictory information at the time I took the contract out and that because of this, I felt that it was essentially miss-sold to me. Instead of accepting my points about my experience, I was subjected to a ‘brick wall’ and an accusatory tone, being told it was essentially ‘my word against the girl in the shop’. This I take exception to, as would it not be a much simpler lie to call the insurers and inform them that I had made a mistake, and in actual fact, my personal sim WAS in the phone at the time? If the phone remained off, I changed sim and then it was stolen, then there would be no feasible way to track which sim was in the phone. The supervisor seemed unable to fathom this concept and simply repeated that I would have to take it up with the shop in question; again, I take exception to this statement, because is it not the point of a national company such as Vodafone to be able to take responsibility for the competence of all its staff members nationwide? Surely I should not suffer for poor training, or even misleading sales tactics by Vodafone staff in order to make sales targets?

I am at a loss as to what else I can do, I now have a contract which doesn’t finish until 2013 and no phone I can use to take advantage of the benefits of that contract. Should I really be expected to honour a contract for another 2 years when I have been entirely mislead in order to secure it?

Hi vodafonejoke.

There are strict terms and conditions set out with the phone insurance we offer. The insurance is only valid if the SIM card ordered with the handset is used in the device. If there's a different SIM inside, and the handset is lost or stolen, then under the Terms and Conditions the claim would be rejected. This is clearly stated in Condition C within the Cover Me Terms and Conditions.

The insurance is not with ourselves, and we don't have any authority or amend or overrule any decision made by the insurance company. There is an escalation process if your not happy with the response from the insurance company, and this is set out under section I of their Terms and  Conditions.

Trev

neillwhy

Hi

I am trying to get the details of my purchase date IMEI number make and model of phone to my insurance company. I was given an e-mail address by customer services which bounced. Only by reading this forum did I discover that this was not possible - maybe someone should tell customer services! Anyway I need to get these details to my insurance company - please advise how I can do this.

N

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @neillwhy ,

You're only able to reach an active email inbox if you use the subject title provided by the customer service agent.

If you don't have this to hand, then I've sent some instructions to you here for how to get in touch.

We aim to reply to most emails within 48 hours. If you need a quicker response, please come and speak to us on Live help.

Thanks,

Ben