You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 4: Established Poster
chr1swhit

Is an iPhone 4s worth upgrading to?

Hi, I'm looking at possibly upgrading from an iPhone 4 to a 4s and due to the high tariffs on Vodaphone compared to other providers im wondering if the device is worth the cost or is it time for a change, I do think over 40 pounds a month and a hefty up front fee is quite excessive so is the phone ,connection and service worth the jump? Thanks
Message 1 of 10 (3,128 Views)
Rank 33: Scholar II
kids

Re: Is an iPhone 4s worth upgrading to?

chr1swhit wrote:
Hi, I'm looking at possibly upgrading from an iPhone 4 to a 4s and due to the high tariffs on Vodaphone compared to other providers im wondering if the device is worth the cost or is it time for a change, I do think over 40 pounds a month and a hefty up front fee is quite excessive so is the phone ,connection and service worth the jump? Thanks

You are only going to get personal opinios as everyone has diffrent needs but in my own opinion No.

I did not see any new features that made me think I could not live my life without them and certainly nothing that made me want to swop a 4S for my 4.

Siri, is a nice gimmick ( at the moment) but is not fully functional  for the UK at present. If you want something like it that works well ( and better for the UK) on the 4 go to the iTunes store and search for 'Evi' as that is what siri is based on.

The 4s has an improved camera but if I want proper quality photos I use a 'real' camera.

Do a search on the Apple website and see the side by side comparions and remember that in the end you also have to look at the small print on alternative providers' networks and not just the headline cost.

Message 2 of 10 (3,120 Views)
Rank 44: Oracle III
Nabs

Personally i'd sit tight for a few months, There will no doubt be a new iPhone in the pipeline for later this year / early next

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 3 of 10 (3,113 Views)
chr1swhit

I'm getting the same feeling that 40 a month is really excessive to be honest for a phone that in maybe a few months will be outdated in terms of a newer model been released, looking at all the options sticking with my 4 looks more and more promising, thanks for honest opinion.
Message 4 of 10 (3,111 Views)
Tech Team
Tech Team
Kay

Good Afternoon chr1swhit, 

If you would like to discuss an upgrade at any time simply follow the instructions in the private message I've just sent and a member of the team will be in touch as soon as possible. 

You can find your PM inbox here.

If there is anything else, please let me know. 

Best Wishes, 

Kay

Web Relations Team 

Message 5 of 10 (3,104 Views)
Rank 9: Helper III
danielp808

its not really designed to be an update to an iphone 4 Imho

If the phone is still working why not stick with it, then possibly if you took a higher tariff than required to get the iphone "free"  you could look at moving to a much lower tariff untill you need a new phone.

Message 6 of 10 (3,101 Views)
chr1swhit

Thanks for the email Kay but I have already spoken to someone one in your team and although they were trying to be helpful the actual cost to me would be way to much, and if I was going to upgrade the cheaper option would be for me to pay off my existing contract with Vodaphone and move for much more minutes texts and data as well as a cheaper up front cost,
Message 7 of 10 (3,097 Views)
Rank 44: Oracle III
Nabs

chr1swhit wrote:
I'm getting the same feeling that 40 a month is really excessive to be honest for a phone that in maybe a few months will be outdated in terms of a newer model been released, looking at all the options sticking with my 4 looks more and more promising, thanks for honest opinion.

Depending on your tariff you could switch to a SIM only deal (once you have reached your contract end date) and possibly half your monthly costs. Since you will be paying less you can save up the difference to put toward the purchase of your new iPhone.

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 8 of 10 (3,095 Views)
chr1swhit

I am already on a sim only but experiencing some device and network issues which I have been discussing on a different thread. I was looking at the upgrade to hopefully sort these issues out, I am totally willing to pay double what I currently am but as I said in previous thread all options to stay with Vodaphone are really expensive and in all honesty not great in terms of usage etc, all the people I have spoken to about this have been totally helpful but the terms and conditions of Vodaphone make it impossible for them to help me out, so that why I started the thread to see if 4s is worth the cost or if I total change is the way to go.
Thanks
Message 9 of 10 (3,089 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
bandofbrothers1

I would say No.

The extra power in the processor is negligible.

The camera provides a slightly better spec.

As for Siri I have this on my iPhone 4 and its useful but not mind blowing and is around 70% accurate.

As suggested sit tight and wait for the next iPhone model.
MacBook Air 11” Core i5 1.6GHz 4GB 128GB •1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5.
16gb iphone 4 - black - Firmware :5.0.1 with Siri.
16gb ipod touch - 1st Generation.
Message 10 of 10 (3,062 Views)